Likes Likes:  48
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smiths Showcase: lets see them!

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    Unknown model from 1956

I wrote a little bit about a very similar watch to this one recently. It's an A409 Smiths Deluxe with a rather nice gilded 1215 movement in a Dennison Aquatite case (this came in both stainless and chrome and brass, the chrome and brass one is the one used by Hillary. You've got a bit of a sleeper there as this is the closest retail version to the one worn on Everest by the Hunt expedition and on top of Everest by both Hillary and Tenzing and differs only in a couple of minor changes to the dial to the watch that can still be seen in the permanent collection of The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers in London. With a little bit of TLC it is a fine watch that is perfectly capable of acceptably modern standards of performance and water resistance. Get that crystal polished up!
    Last edited by Matt; Apr 22, 2015 at 06:58 AM.

2. Likes Der Amf, DJW GB, FuzzyB, tribe125, hayday liked this post
    I remember reading this and thinking how similar my watch was to the one you wrote about. I had no idea it was so close to such important history. Thanks for the history lesson!

This watch was a prize won by my father. He was a British subject and won it at a school track meet when he was 16 years old. I seldom wear it, though I do wind it up every coupla months to give it some exercise. You're right, I should get it serviced and cleaned up. I should prolly wear it more often, too.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.