Likes Likes:  74
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you preferred in the olden days....

Shopping -

It was nice to pull up in front of a store, go in and buy something and leave. If you just HAD to shop, you could mosey up and down the street (or strip center) possibly crossing the street to eat at a locally owned, one off restaurant.
    Now it's a trip to a mall, half mile trek across the parking lot, sidestepping hordes of tattooed, pierced pseudo tough guys and gals, gangs of giggly preteens, and elderly 'mall walkers'. And then polish off the experience gulping down universal mall food at the ubiquitous Food Court.

2. Likes is that my watch, 93EXCivic, hayday liked this post
    Hookers. They used to have class, style, pizazz. They dressed up, gave ya sass. Now it's like it's all about the money.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

there are so many things ! both good and bad of course - i was conceived by a RAF pow just returned from liberation - times were difficult i guess for my parents -without being explicit ,i remember having a freedom as a child to explore the limits of my estate without being made aware of the dangers that didn't seem to exist as they appear to nowadays -of course there was no television so outdoors was the only place to be -school was rife with corporal punishment where my Jesuit teachers would happily give the birch or the hard edge of a ruler across the knuckles - but strangely it was accepted without any question- totally unacceptable behaviour was the order of the day -never did me any harm and in a way we thrived on it like a badge of courage to get a good hiding without complaint -
    as a teenager wishing for but knowing i could never afford the many mirrored Lambretta scooter in the showroom window -
    to hear the first Beatles sounds was a fantastic feeling -we had never had music like that -
    every small town had a cinema or two where one would go to the Sat afternoon matinee for pennies to watch the lone ranger or a Roy Rogers cowboy - be served ice cream from the lady in the aisle - now its a multiplex somewhere ten miles away and it costs a small mortgage
    people of a certain generation will always harp back to 'the good olde days ' -you younger guys will do the same when its your time believe me

5. Likes Teeritz, Donf, OhDark30, DJW GB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Absolutely. Character.... that's what's missing from modern cars. There's just something more endearing about cars that were drawn on a piece of paper, then moulded into reality.
    So true.

Also the fact that some things were nearly as good made the car better.

The sound proofing wasn't as good so you could hear the road (none of this ridiculous piping noise into the cabin). Traction control was your feet. Interiors were made of wood and metal which is great to bounce off off but looks awesome. Styling was still possible (no worrying about pedestrians bouncing off the hood). You could work on them without needing a degree in computer engineering.

I have to admit that there are four big improvement with modern cars though. Rustproofing, safety, power and fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

A coupla things:

1) spinning in circles and getting sick. I knew I was an adult when this stopped being fun.
    2) eating like a gluttonous pig. I used to have the metabolism of red-lined Ferrari, but then I turned 40.
    3) injuring myself. Bruises and scrapes and scars (and broken bones) were the sign of a fun childhood but I just don't seem to recover the way I used to.
    4) ignorance. A lot of the magic has gone out of life once I became old enough to understand.
    5) money. Life was far simpler in my youth when I didn't have any.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Absolutely. I'd also like to add toys. The toys I buy for my children, I'm invariably dismayed with the quality (or lack of) of them. Obscene amounts of money for bits of flimsy plastic Toys should be kid-proof, and not have a 'designed in' short lifespan that forces you to buy again

Yes,. I remember having metal Tonka trucks...seems like toys these days are compete junk.

10. Likes crownpuller liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I miss books in general. I love my Kindle, but it doesn't compare to the feel of paper in your hands, the tension when turning the page, the satisfaction of dog eared corners and bent spines, signifying that you've read and read again.

bighead
    Phones that plugged into the wall.
    kids playing outside.
    Respect for teachers and authority.

13. Likes Teeritz liked this post
    Fishing, diving, lobster grabbing etc. I grew up a mile from the everglades in Fl. and 12 miles from South Fl beaches. It was magical! Was a great place to live as well, you didn't lock your doors and the clean water!!
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

Blog Entries
    Man, where to start?

Handwriting. But we covered this a few weeks ago. I still think it matters.

People giving you their full attention, before they became enslaved to their mobile phones. I was at a cafe. Two guys and a girl sat a few tables away. All three of them staring/scrolling at their smartphones for the majority of the time they were there.

Leading on from the above, manners. More people had more of them.

Customer service. I don't expect to be treated like royalty when I walk into a store, but I do expect to be acknowledged.

Actual paper books. For every person who brings up the 'less books printed saves more trees' argument, I have to wonder if all of these Kindles, Kobos and iPads aren't doing the same amount (if not more) harm, greenhouse gas-wise, when they're all plugged in and recharging.

Speaking of books, I'm seeing less bookstore shelves filled with titles. Not as many visible spines on the shelves. Now I'm seeing more book covers facing me when I browse the shelves. Stores are buying less stock, because we are buying less books. I can't do it ALL on my own, people.

Movies that didn't rely so heavily on special effects (that's what we called it before it was called CGI), but concentrated on story, and didn't treat the audience like idiots.

Cars that were still at least 60% steel. And had bumper bars that could be replaced for a fraction of what it costs to replace their modern plastic equivalent.

The much milder form of political correctness that hadn't yet permeated every, single, little aspect of life and society;
    "Man, Germans are efficient! Gee, the French are cool!"
    "Hey, you can't say that, that's profiling
    ."
    Won't be long before somebody gets life imprisonment (without parole) for calling his next-door neighbour an idiot or a jerk.

The Academy Awards, when they used to say; "And the winner is..." Converting this to; "And the Oscar goes to..." is more of that PC crap that I mentioned in the point above.

The fact that all this internet crap, from Grumpy Cat to the Kardashians, wouldn't have gotten a foot in the Pop Culture door twenty years ago. Although, I do have far more respect for Grumpy Cat than I do for the Kardashians. In saying that, however, I don't think Grumpy Cat had a good time at the MTV Awards last year, and it was some form of animal cruelty bringing him there. See? This whole internet stuff is complicated, ain't it?

I think I'll stop now.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au