Editor’s note: New steel Rolex is almost impossible to find at retail, and pricing on discontinued models is getting prohibitive for mere mortals. One model that’s still a little easier to get (for now) is the Rolex Explorer II 16570 —*and even that landscape is changing rapidly. In fact, prices have likely shot up by 20 – 30 per cent since Bruce reviewed it last year … Today’s review of the Rolex Explorer II is a little unusual on several accounts. Most significantly it’s of a watch that’s been discontinued for seven years. Given this fact, Bruce (of BLNR fame) has written a more personal, evocative piece, which makes sense as much ink has already been shed in tribute to the details and intricacies of this particular Rolex Explorer II. Back when I was shopping for my first Rolex, I was offered a ‘new old stock’ Explorer II 16570 by the local boutique at a decent discount. I brushed it off at the time due to a fixation with the Submariner (which ironically ended up as a Datejust) and also the limited knowledge that it was a past model and recently replaced by an improved 216570 in 42mm. Why in…

The post That time we reviewed the Rolex Explorer II 16570 – just because appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...