Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Return of a Prodigal Son (Sort Of)

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Return of a Prodigal Son (Sort Of)

Work and various family issues have occupied almost all my time. Keeping up with my watch hobby generally and IWL in particular became largely impossible. In addition, my increasing use of activity/fitness trackers and particularly an Apple Watch lessened my interest in my watch hobby.

Recently, I began feeling “the tyranny of the Apple Watch”. I wanted to break out a mechanical watch on occasion or G-Shock.

I purchased a Garmin Vivosmart 4 which is small, light, reasonably inconspicuous and which (through Garmin Connect) syncs with Apple Health. (The comparable FitBit does not sync with Apple Health which was a deal breaker for me. Apple Health syncs with several other websites and apps on which I have come to rely.) I can wear the Vivosmart 4 comfortably and unobtrusively on my non-watch wrist. It lacks GPS and some of the features or more robust trackers, but it tracks steps, heart rate, sleep, even blood oxygenation. And it automatically tracks basic activities like walking, running, elliptical workouts and more. In short, it does what I need it to do.

I still quite like my Apple Watch and will wear it frequently. But, with my newfound freedom, I expect to reconnect with my watch collection and reacquaint myself with my inner WIS.

I probably won’t revert to being a “regular” around here. But I do expect to be around much more frequently. And I am thrilled that you guys are here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done for coming back from the brink
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

3. Likes Kronos liked this post
    We’ll take you back, even if it’s just part time.

5. Likes Kronos liked this post
    Good to see you, Jonathan!

7. Likes Kronos liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Good to see you, Jonathan!
    Likewise.

I saw apple watch and grimaced. Then, reading more, I get it. Plus I can't judge, what with owning just 1 watch myself.

Welcome back!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Fully understandable -- I also lost interest in watches but only for a little while . So now I don't buy one every month like I used to but every now and then -- I get something new. My interest in fitness watches (Garmin Fenix, Vivoactive and Forerunner 25) lasted about as long as my interest in jogging, which was 6 months. Now I am back to my usual routine with just some weights, chin-ups, etc and I hardly need a fitness watch for that. Still constantly having to charge the watches I no longer use because the battery might go into deep discharge annoys me to no end. I don't think I will buy another watch ever again that I have to charge manually.
    So welcome back -- would be nice to see you posting more frequently. Believe me -- you never get rid of the bug, it just may lie dormant for some time. My interest in watches started when I was 6 years old -- so I guess I will never completely lose it. And there is still so many interesting watches out there, like the re-issue of the Citizen Appleseed which I unfortunately cannot afford (at the moment). https://www.citizenwatch.eu/de/produkt/cc7005-16e/
    Cheers, Sedi

11. Likes Seriously, geoffbot, Kronos liked this post