Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of those "what's next" posts

One of those "what's next" posts

As you may know, I have been through some serious flipping over the past few years, going from 150 watches to trying to get to my "perfect 12' (four categories, Chronograph, diver style, dressy and GADA, with a beater, better and best in each category).

I got close to the "perfect 12" twice, just one watch away each time, and I blew it all up and started over. It turns out that size, or how it looked on my wrist relative to that was a big thing for me, and many were just a bit too small or large, so I wanted watches that were perfect for me, and this is where I am now with three that are potential keepers.

The Speedy as my chronograph, and it is going nowhere. I resisted this watch for years, but after trying one on a couple years ago, I knew I'd eventually have one, and it hugs my wrist like it belongs there and is legible for these aging eyes.

Name:  Speedy 2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  303.0 KB

Since my first GS, I knew there would always have to be one in my collection, but the HB wore too small and I flipped it twice, but the Snowflake is a perfect size and it too looks like it belongs on my wrist. I do not consider this my GADA watch, more of a dressy option that can be worn bus casual, which is my attire most of the time.

Name:  Snowflake 1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  54.6 KB

While this is a pilot watch, it is my current GADA as the Tourby is 200m WR and tough as nails. I'm considering putting it on mesh, either shark or milanese, but will keep it on the excellent provided leather for the foreseeable future.

Name:  Tourby Saturday.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  178.4 KB

As dive style watches go, I have my Revolution which has been getting the most wrist time lately, but I'm not sure if I want to spend more on a dive style watch as I really beat the snot out of them with boating, snorkeling and other activities that put a strain on them. Sure, I have a G Shcock for the really tough stuff, but when on a boat, hanging with my buddies, I normally wear something nicer than the G.

I have the Baby Tuna and Monster as well....

I've considered the new Seamaster Pro, the Rolex Explorer or OP 39 as a true GADA, or just doing nothing and loving what I have for now.

I would hardly ever wear a true dress watch, so that's out of the question and I have my Mido Commander that does well with a suit, and of course, the aforementioned Snowflake does duty there as well.

If this were your collection, what would consider to be your next watch? Thanks, IWL'ers!
    Last edited by wschofield3; Apr 28, 2019 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    If this were your collection, what would consider to be your next watch? Thanks, IWL'ers!

Iím not going to be much help here because I would reduce further and donít really think in terms of categories. However, you need a dive watch of some sort, and you have one, so thatís covered.

Iíd lose a couple that I thought of as Ďlesserí and buy an Explorer.

And I had to Google GADA because Iíd forgotten what it meant.

One of those "what's next" posts

Sometimes I feel I just buy a watch because I feel I need to buy a watch. That has gone away. While I really want to keep my collection number down there are are several that have come out or recently changed that are things I've been waiting for. Here are some of the things I'm waiting on:

I've wanted an annual calendar watch. I nearly bought the Omega Globemaster annual calendar several times, but it was never exactly right. I don't like all others until now. Last summer while at my Rolex AD I saw the Updated Skydweller that had gone away from the Roman numerals and moved to nice clean indexes. The SS/white gold version puts the price better in line though still not inexpensive. The next black or white dial one to come in should be mine. I'm not certain which i like more.

Rolex Deep Blue DSSD. Rolex hardly ever does a change to a watch a few years after they released it, but they did on the Deep Blue DSSD. Unless you see a new and an old one most likely you will not notice the changes, but they make a difference. The wider bracelet with changed end links looks worlds better and makes the watch far more comfortable. I got to wear one for a day down in the Keys recently and it is amazing how much better balanced the change makes the watch. The upgraded movement moves the PWR to almost double. The lower pip sits better on the bezel. I've come to get over this not having a Cyclops now as a proper a Rolex Diver should knowing it would shatter at the depth ratting.

BLNR GMT Master II - This will replace the Pepsi when it comes(already spoken for 5 times over). I prefer the new GMT Master II case and Jubilee bracelet, and like the blue/black combo better. It has always bugged me that Rolex did not put the blue dial in the Pepsi until they made the change to the white gold version(which bothers me more). With the black dial it just does not look right to me. Not an issue with the Batman(BLNR). I'm first on this list at my AD. Had Rolex done a Coke version that would be my choice.

Topper LE Zodiac Super Seawolf Rally Diver Blue - This is the one I did the most work on with Rob and it is one feature shy of being 100% the watch I wanted to build. I think it is one of the better looking blue dial watches made and truly amazing at it's price point.

Seiko SLA033 LE - I've restored three of original 6105 to near perfect levels only to have all three fail pressure testing because the twist-lock crown would not fully seal. Everyone I find is just too worn out. I don't do other brand homages so I have been waiting for Seiko to build this one, and hoped they would do a high end version true to the original. I love this design so much and I did not care what it costs...I just want one. I was happy to see late in the Basel announcements that Seiko came through and while not cheap it is far less than than my price cut off line(Which I would pay up to the price of a new APRO...that is how much I love this design). It's near perfect and I'm OK that Seiko went with a screw down crown and not twist lock. I do wish that it was regulated to GS specs.

With these coming in I really need to possibly loose one or two(above the one I've already talked about). At this time I don't have a candidate to leave and two would be like deciding whether to cut off a hand or a foot.

These are probably not anything you would be interest in Walter, but I believe you still need a Rolex. The standard Explorer just looks too small on me and I prefer the looks of the II. Personally I think you need a Sub. You've found the classics work, so follow that with your diver choice. Put your name on the list since it will give you 2-3 years to make up your mind.
    Last edited by Samanator; Apr 20, 2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

The clear answer is you need to ditch'em all and start over again.

Seriously, though, from what I know of you, what you've got right now seems hard to improve upon. As Michael says, you could get a Rolex (I know you've thought seriously about one in the past), but what watches would get reduced wrist time?

It's almost sacrilegious around here to say this, but I can't see you adding anything unless you also trade in one of your current favorites. Otherwise, you're just going to end up being dissatisfied with the amount of wrist time each is getting. I don't mind having as many as I do because there are some that I don't feel guilty wearing only once a month or so; I'm not sure that you are like that (at least not any more).

5. Likes Cybotron, CFR, wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I’m not going to be much help here because I would reduce further and don’t really think in terms of categories. However, you need a dive watch of some sort, and you have one, so that’s covered.

I’d lose a couple that I thought of as ‘lesser’ and buy an Explorer.

And I had to Google GADA because I’d forgotten what it meant.
    The "category" or use case scenario thing is my, not officially diagnosed, OCD behavior, so it's inherent in all that I purchase. The Explorer has been on the short list for some time, but I had to have the GS and thought that would be the GADA, but no, it is not with the shiny bits.

When you Googled GADA, did an Iron Butterfly tune come up?

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Sometimes I feel I just buy a watch because I feel I need to buy a watch. That has gone away. While I really want to keep my collection number down there are are several that have come out or recently changed that I are things I've been waiting for. Here are some of the things I'm waiting on:

I've wanted an annual calendar watch. I nearly bought the Omega Globemaster annual calendar several times, but it was never exactly right. I don't like all others until now. Last summer while at my Rolex AD I saw the Updated Skydweller that had gone away from the Roman numerals and moved to nice clean indexes. The SS/white gold version puts the price better in line though still not inexpensive. The next black or white dial one to come in should be mine. I'm not certain which i like more.

Rolex Deep Blue DSSD. Rolex hardly ever does a change to a watch a few years after they released it, but they did on the Deep Blue DSSD. Unless you see a new and an old one most likely you will not notice the changes, but they make a difference. The wider bracelet with changed end links looks worlds better and makes the watch far more comfortable. I got to wear one for a day down in the keys recently and it is amazing how much better balanced the change makes the watch. The upgraded movement moves the PWR to almost double. The lower pip sits better on the bezel. I've come to get over this not having a Cyclops now.

BLNR GMT Master II - This will replace the Pepsi when it comes(already spoken for 5 times over). I prefer the new GMT Master II case and Jubilee bracelet, and like the blue/black combo better. It has always bugged me that Rolex did not put the blue dial in the Pepsi until they made the change to the white gold version(which bothers me more). With the black dial it just does not look right to me. Not an issue with the Batman(BLNR). I'm first on this list at my AD. Had Rolex done a Coke version that would be my choice.

Topper LE Zodiac Super Seawolf Rally Diver Blue - This is the one I did the most work on with Rob and it is one feature shy of being 100% the watch I wanted to build. I think it is one of the better looking blue dial watches made and truly amazing at it's price point.

Seiko SLA033 LE - I've restored three of original 6105 to near perfect levels only to have all three fail pressure testing because the twist-lock crown would not fully seal. Everyone I find is just too worn out. I don't do other brand homages so I have been waiting for Seiko build this one, and hoped they would do a high end version true to the original. I love this design so much and I did not care what it costs...I just want one. I was happy to see late in the Basel announcements that Seiko came through and while not cheap it is far less than than my line cut off line(Which I would pay up to the price of a new APRO...that is how much I love this design). It's near perfect and I'm OK that Seiko went with a screw down crown and not twist lock.

With these coming in I really need to possibly loose one or two(above the one I've already talked about). At this time I don't have a candidate to leave and two would be like deciding whether to cut off a hand or a foot.

These are probably not anything you would be interest in Walter, but I believe you still need a Rolex. The standard Explorer just looks too small on me and I prefer the looks of the II. Personally I think you need a Sub. You've found the classics work, so follow that with your diver choice. Put your name on the list since it will give you 2-3 years to make up your mind.
    Thanks for elaborating your thought process, Michael, it is very helpful, and yes, perhaps I should bite the bullet and get a Rolex, however, the Submariner would not be the one, it would be the GMT Pepsi. Aside from the Seamaster, that is the one I've been looking at a lot, however, I refuse to pay an inflated price beyond retail.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    The clear answer is you need to ditch'em all and start over again.

Seriously, though, from what I know of you, what you've got right now seems hard to improve upon. As Michael says, you could get a Rolex (I know you've thought seriously about one in the past), but what watches would get reduced wrist time?

It's almost sacrilegious around here to say this, but I can't see you adding anything unless you also trade in one of your current favorites. Otherwise, you're just going to end up being dissatisfied with the amount of wrist time each is getting. I don't mind having as many as I do because there are some that I don't feel guilty wearing only once a month or so; I'm not sure that you are like that (at least not any more).
    I have enough "affordables" to cover all use case scenarios without the watches above, so I can see one more entering the box and getting good rotation.
    Leaning towards a GMT here...that may do it. Now, if the prices got more realistic!
    Last edited by wschofield3; Apr 20, 2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    you could get a Rolex (I know you've thought seriously, about one in the past)
    I have not !!, it's a scurrilous rumour !!
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

8. Likes wschofield3 liked this post

doing nothing and loving what I have for now.
    ^^^This. And just wait until something - doesn't matter the brand and/or type - really catches your attention.
    Last edited by CFR; Apr 19, 2019 at 11:23 PM.

10. Likes Cybotron, tribe125, wschofield3 liked this post
    Buy a Lange and call it a day.

I'd just wait it out for a bit. Enjoy what you have and wait for that right piece to come along.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

12. Likes tribe125, wschofield3 liked this post
    When you Googled GADA, did an IIrn Butterfly tune come up?

No, but it was in my head before I Googled.

I understand the OCD thing, by the way - although I wouldnít call it that. Frameworks or patterns are part of collecting. How about cheating? Buy the watch that demands to be bought and impose the pattern later.

14. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Thanks for elaborating your thought process, Michael, it is very helpful, and yes, perhaps I should bite the bullet and get a Rolex, however, the Submariner would not be the one, it would be the GMT Pepsi. Aside from the Seamaster, that is the one I've been looking at a lot, however, I refuse to pay an inflated price beyond retail.
    Rolex AD aren't allowed to charge anything greater than retail. So decide what you like and just put you name on a list at a few AD. It will still probably come in faster than any LE Omega announces this year given their recent track record.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

16. Likes wschofield3 liked this post