Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's Essay Question - Are Watches Swinging Back Towards Smaller Sizing?

Blog Entries

Today's Essay Question - Are Watches Swinging Back Towards Smaller Sizing?

Okay, so Basel 2015 is well and truly over and there were no huge revelations, as far as I could tell. However, I did notice a few watches in dressy styles coming in at 39 to 40 mm. Three or four years ago, these would have been offered in 42 to 44mm versions as well.
    Do y'all think we're seeing the beginning of a shift back towards smaller watches? I didn't pay too close attention to Basel offerings this year, but I don't think I saw too many (or any) 45mm+ dive watches or chronos released either.

So, what say you? Are watches slowly heading back to the kind of sizing that was the norm for decades? Or am I imagining things?

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

Not at Seiko

Don't think so, as Domo said Grand Seiko released some dateless models but upped the size to 42mm for some reason. The new Seiko MM diver was 48mm!!

Zenith released that 42mm dress watch, and Omega released a new range of DSOTM models (all 44mm). Even Rolex upped the size of the new Oyster Perpetual models from 36 to 39mm.

There might have been some smaller releases but all in all, I don't think anything changed,

I know it's not Basel,but even most of the new Panerais are 47,48 and 52mm

I don't see the release of a smaller sized pams,and with the 40 mm lum discontinued,there are only several 42 mm models in their current lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Even Rolex upped the size of the new Oyster Perpetual models from 36 to 39mm.
    I saw this not so much an upsizing of the watch, as completing the expansion of their datefree range from women's sizes to men's sizes (the 36mm was a relatively recent addition iirc)

Aye, but the thought process of including a new size and upping their dressy/datefree model size to 39mm ilustrates that they are thinking of the markets liking for bigger sizes

Steppy, the order of your listed watches in your sig confuses me greatly.....It's almost like it's implying...heh, you'll laugh when you hear this....that the AT is ahead of the SBGA081 in some way? I know, silly right??!

8. Likes GlennO, Steppy, geoffbot liked this post
    There's been quite a few new 40mm or less watches released in recent years. IWC, Longines, CWard, Archimede to name a few. Even Glycine, well known for it's large watches, introduced a 36mm Combat 6. But I think it's a case of expanding lines and filling a market niche rather than a sign of reversing trends. Women wearing larger watches might also be a factor. I think we'll continue to see a larger range of watch sizes going forward.

Makes no difference to me; I'm unlikely to buy anything less than 40mm.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Steppy, the order of your listed watches in your sig confuses me greatly.....It's almost like it's implying...heh, you'll laugh when you hear this....that the AT is ahead of the SBGA081 in some way? I know, silly right??!

Domo, that is frankly ridiculous !! Bordering on the insane in fact

12. Likes Domo liked this post