Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nomos New movements, what say ye?

Nomos New movements, what say ye?

I was digging on the simple design relative affordability and cool movement vibe of Nomos, then they came out with the big priced movements and I feel like they jumped the shark. Anyone else feel that way or are you in love with Nomos (ewww get a room).

Please correct me or support me....

3. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    I think he's referring more to the new Lux and Lambda watches

Name:  COVER.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  29.7 KBName:  NOMOS_Werk_DUW_10011-1024x682.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  46.0 KBName:  Nomos-Lux-Gold-7.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  49.2 KB

They're expensive - around $20k each. But, if you compare these to similar A Lange Sohne watches they're pretty cheap; you don't get this type of finishing (screwed gold chatons, hand-engraved balance cock etc) on much cheaper (non-chinese) pieces. So it's still the relatively 'affordable luxury' for this type of piece.

The fact that I don't find them especially attractive is neither here nor there - I'm sure they'll sell out. I don't find the considerably cheaper Tetra attractive either...I do like the Orion, Zurich, Worldtimer though and I appreciate Nomos' generally excellent VFM - there aren't many dress watches with in-house movements at this price range (Frederique Constant and Zenith aside).

This should probably be on the German forum; I know you want a balanced opinion Dan but I doubt you'll find many Nomos haters here anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    This should probably be on the German forum; I know you want a balanced opinion Dan but I doubt you'll find many Nomos haters here anyway!
    I definitely don't hate them at all. I think I'm more in shock. For years I thought of them as affordable in house and the big jump in prices (which may be in my head) has put me off some. It feels like they were always under $2K but now are all well over that. So maybe thats my question, are their prices too relatively high for their new stuff? Or maybe were the old prices just that great a value?

Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    I definitely don't hate them at all. I think I'm more in shock. For years I thought of them as affordable in house and the big jump in prices (which may be in my head) has put me off some. It feels like they were always under $2K but now are all well over that. So maybe thats my question, are their prices too relatively high for their new stuff? Or maybe were the old prices just that great a value?
    Under $4K for a fully manufactured movement in a unique design is about 50% of the industry norm. Don't point to Demasco since that is not even close to the level of manufacturing being done here. During the October West Coast Nomos event I attended I fell in love with the Lambda and actually was trying to justify it. It is truly beautiful and totally unique.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Under $4K for a fully manufactured movement in a unique design is about 50% of the industry norm. Don't point to Demasco since that is not even close to the level of manufacturing being done here. During the October West Coast Nomos event I attended I fell in love with the Lambda and actually was trying to justify it. It is truly beautiful and totally unique.
    Fair and true. There is a local dealer who carries them. I will have to check them out in the steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Blog Entries
    I wish they wouldn't have closed the case so much but I understand what they are going for here.

It's very hard for these value brands to be viewed at the high end given this swing from bottom to top. Basically Nomos has about 3 levels roughly at: $1.5K-$4K(general handwind and Auto), $4K-$10K (more complicated) and then $17k-$23 (High End in precious metals). In the two lower groups we see the value and there is a lot for the money when compared to the industry. Precious metals are always hard to justify and for solid gold pieces with manufactured movements these are still pretty good. This is a common problem for low volume pieces in this range. I think the better question is what justifies the other brands prices? Currently the biggest gap in the Nomos line is the lack of their own column wheel chronograph movement. The other thing to consider is every year you are in operation things just cost more. The common Nomos sweet spot is the first group, but what I got to witness during the Nomos Event is there is a pretty compelling case for some of the second tier watches like the Zurich World Timer. I saw six get ordered that day at the AD event.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    It's very hard for these value brands to be viewed at the high end given this swing from bottom to top. Basically Nomos has about 3 levels roughly at: $1.5K-$4K(general handwind and Auto), $4K-$10K (more complicated) and then $17k-$23 (High End in precious metals). In the two lower groups we see the value and there is a lot for the money when compared to the industry. Precious metals are always hard to justify and for solid gold pieces with manufactured movements these are still pretty good. This is a common problem for low volume pieces in this range. I think the better question is what justifies the other brands prices? Currently the biggest gap in the Nomos line is the lack of their own column wheel chronograph movement. The other thing to consider is every year you are in operation things just cost more. The common Nomos sweet spot is the first group, but what I got to witness during the Nomos Event is there is a pretty compelling case for some of the second tier watches like the Zurich World Timer. I saw six get ordered that day at the AD event.
    Yea this is what I meant. I have the same problem with $800 Orients and high end Hyundais. Oddly enough, I'm ok with BMW's new 1,2 &4 series here in the states.

I guess it makes me a bit of a snob. You can go slumming if you a a "higher tier". But you must earn the right to play with the big boys.

I want to thank you guys! I think my horizons have been expanded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    I think Nomos is definitely one of those brands that impress in pics, but really blows you away in person. I applaud their efforts to go upmarket, but I hope they do retain a presence in the under $2K range.