Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nomos New movements, what say ye?

Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    I think Nomos is definitely one of those brands that impress in pics, but really blows you away in person. I applaud their efforts to go upmarket, but I hope they do retain a presence in the under $2K range.

I disagree. Nomos didn't excite me in pics. But I stumbled across them at a watch show and was so impressed in the metal that I bought one the following week.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

It's interesting for sure. Rolling out a few $18k-$20k watches when their customers are familiar with with prices in the $2k--$4k range is a massive swing. Maybe they are worth the prices they are asking, but I hope the more reasonably affordable models remain their core business.

Speaking of cars it reminds me of when VW rolled out a $100,000 Phaeton when they were also selling a Golf for under $16k. Most customers shopping for a large luxury car didn't think of VW as being the same class as Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Audi. As a result the sales were horrible.

And you can get a w16 phaeton for a song and a dance now - terrible resale. Maybe I can pick up a preowned lux for £2000

The movement is certainly elaborate, but at that price point, I too am uninspired by the nice, but somewhat generic design.

I think Nomos makes some great watches, and one day I will own this- http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...stal-back.html

But for $20K I can find others that speak to me more.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Nokie, that's my favorite one too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    The movement is certainly elaborate, but at that price point, I too am uninspired by the nice, but somewhat generic design.

I think Nomos makes some great watches, and one day I will own this- http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watche...stal-back.html

But for $20K I can find others that speak to me more.

Of course we can count on Dan for an I hate Nomos thread...
    Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time - JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day - Orient Pro Saturation Diver

you wound me sir!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doboji View Post
    Of course we can count on Dan for an I hate Nomos thread...

What can I say, I love movements, love Nomos, just do not like the prices on the new upscale models. If I had $20k to spend, it would be on different watches.
    But I still can get exited over their beta's, although I don't know if you can call a modified Pesseux 7001 'in-house'

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    What can I say, I love movements, love Nomos, just do not like the prices on the new upscale models. If I had $20k to spend, it would be on different watches.
    But I still can get exited over their beta's, although I don't know if you can call a modified Pesseux 7001 'in-house'
    You mean the alpha, which isn't modified, it was based on the 7001. But they build it from the ground up I believe. The beta is a new design. And they make their own hairsprings which only one or two other brands can claim to I believe.

I don't begrudge their efforts to have a presence in the high-end watch arena, I just hope they don't abandon their bread and butter watches. Perhaps they're just pulling a Grand Seiko, and using the Lux and Lambda to establish the high water mark that their brand is capable of. In some sense, this is also true of brands like Patek Philippe or Jaeger-LeCoultre, where the super complications are the ones that command stratospheric prices, but the bulk of their sales are in their entry level timepieces.

Patek Philippe
    Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Baume & Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar; Tudor Black Bay.

Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field H70555863; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull 818.900 Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN017P1; Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51.