Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** D.I.Y 2019 ****

**** D.I.Y 2019 ****

well we had a thread on D.I.Y last year and it did quite well so why not a dedicated thread to all things D.I.Y (hints ..tips.. suggestions maybe if you have used a good paint or bad I have found some paintwork has gone yellow after a couple of years so would tend to avoid these paints but can't remember which company's I had used so if you have used a paint and got a good result or bad say here any projects you are taking on any help you might need with advice :

done a few projects already this year but here is one I just finished :

I took this old chair guessing 1960's design in a Jacobean style and up-cycled it a bit to give it a more modern vibe .

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes CFR, Greg, boatme99 liked this post
    That’s quite an item.

Not completely sure about the crystal globes.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    That’s quite an item.

Not completely sure about the crystal globes.
    yeah me neither but it gave back the height on the two sides to match the middle as I think they use to be taller and think must have got knocked over at some point and the one had broke off so they sawed off the other one to match as it had some issue I had to patch fill and re-clue after I primed it the first time so it had been around the block from the damage I had to fix so I know with some how the blings in... so use them to match up to the crystal buttons I used on the cushion on the up-right better then trying to make replacement wooden shapes and then trying to secure them some how
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

as found this pic of a set and as you can see one of them is missing on the far left chair

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

There are loads of wooden ball and knobs on Amazon.

Double-ended screw dowels would fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    There are loads of wooden ball and knobs on Amazon.

Double-ended screw dowels would fix them.
    yeah true but my mum love's Crystal I have put them om most the things in the house I have up-cycled as she likes them . I always have a few boxes of those crystal handles knocking around I did an old round table with three drawers around it in silver and white and they had to have crystal knobs on it

this sort of table

Last edited by is that my watch; Apr 25, 2019 at 01:09 AM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes Greg liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yeah true but my mum love's Crystal I have put them om most the things in the house I have up-cycled as she likes them.

Fair enough!

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yeah true but my mum love's Crystal I have put them om most the things in the house I have up-cycled as she likes them . I always have a few boxes of those crystal handles knocking around I did an old round table with three drawers around it in silver and white and they had to have crystal knobs on it

this sort of table

Holy cats! My father picked up that 3 drawer table at a yard sale in the 70s. Walnut, I think. It was worth a small fortune!

yeah they are known as drum tables there different sizes and types ones with bronze feet /castors and then you had just wooden feet ones some would have leather tops in green / red or blue mainly some rotated around to access all the draws , in the uk the basic ones are still cheap as chips as they say but some of the larger bronze footed ones are worth some .. depends on age and condition my ones from mid 70's at a guess but if you got a regency one worth hundreds depending on condition and size think I saw one being offer at 11k once

but brown and dark wood furniture is out thou. so kills the price a bit ..

white/silver and even grey is in thou along with very bright colours like reds blues greens and yellows ..

I up-cycles an old hall desk recent and painted it a light grey also did a 50's stand mirror in silver will see if I got any pic's ..

I will be soon working on a trunk and a couple of garden benches
    Last edited by is that my watch; Apr 25, 2019 at 08:43 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

His had the bronze feet.
    Sure, dark may be out but eventually, people will want original and the dark will be worth more than one that's been painted. Once the finish is removed, it can never be "original" again.
    Kind of like cars, you reach a point of should I restore it or will it be worth more if I leave it original with it's faded paint and slightly worn interior.
    It's all personal.