Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Harrison clock sets world record

John Harrison clock sets world record

A Guinness World Record has just been awarded to Harrison's Clock B, 250 years after it was designed. It is the world’s “most accurate mechanical clock with a pendulum swinging in free air”.

The clock was built to Harrison's specification and lost lost only five-eighths of a second in 100 days. The tests were carried out at The Royal Observatory in Greenwich, and were overseen by the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers and the National Physical Laboratory.

Harrison had said it would be accurate to 1 second, and they said he was mad.

Astonishing accuracy for a mechanical timepiece!
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Astonishing accuracy for a mechanical timepiece!
    Absolutely. Never mind 250 years later!

As a species, we're pretty blooming clever aren't we?
    Last edited by whatmeworry; Apr 21, 2015 at 04:37 AM.

6. Likes Samanator, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    As a species, we're pretty blooming clever aren't me?
    Nice Freudian slip

8. Likes popoki nui, is that my watch, FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Nice Freudian slip
    Ha ha whoops

Let's take a look...

First - that son of a gun is gonna look HUGE on my 7 1/2 in wrist- and just about anybody else's too. I think this is carrying the big watch theme to ridiculous extremes.
    Now - I admit I'm not much of a skeleton fan but to me he could have decorated it a bit more. And some strategically applied lume would would have made carrying that desk lamp around unnecessary. And for that kind of money I want sapphire all the way around. Now, that crown! Uggghleeee - looks like a drawer handle if you ask me. Plus - has anyone actually ASKED for a semi Bauhaus Regulator? I think not and there is just too much black space on the dial - maybe a date or day/date or just a moonphase would break it up a bit although the day-night indicator is a nice touch. How much would it set them back to blue those bolts at the corners? If you wanna play with the big boys you have to pay attention to details like that. I can't make out the lugs but am willing to bet it takes a proprietary bracelet but someone here will ask if it looks good on a NATO within a week.

All in all I think it's a disappointing effort - I was expecting more for his second watch. Maybe the Model C will be better or at least have acceptable water resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    Maybe the Model C will be better or at least have acceptable water resistance.
    I've heard it's going to be diver, so that should sort out both the WR and the lume.

12. Likes Donf liked this post
    You know, I'm looking at that and asking myself what couldn't be knocked up on a CNC with remarkable ease. Just because it's a stunning design doesn't mean it would automatically be that hard to fabricate. Obviously, the pendulum would have to be invar to get half way decent performance, but if you had the CAD schematics I'd assume that it would barely make it into triple figures to make the majority of the parts and construction wouldn't be beyond a competent hobbyist even if fettling might be an interesting challenge.

Anyone tempted?

14. Likes Der Amf, FuzzyB liked this post