Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When the straps short part is longer and the long part is shorter

When the straps short part is longer and the long part is shorter

My wrist is average (just under seven inches) and most straps fit me on the second notch. Since I've never had bother with one being too big or small, I've not been concerned with the lengths of the two parts.

The other day curiosity got the better of me and I measured them. I seem to have a lot of variations on 70 or 75 on the twelve o'clock side with 110 or 115 on the six o'clock side.

One strap though has 80 and 110, and this seems to fit me best, for a very good reason: my wrist's cross section is far from circular, much closer to a long rectangle with curved ends (just like a Radox shower gel bottle) A watch sits on one flat surface and I realise I'm happiest when the overlap of the two pieces of the strap - the buckle, the fixed keeper and the movable keeper - is all nicely placed on the other flat surface.

To achieve this, the twelve o'clock section odds needs to be long enough to reach right around to the diagonally opposite corner of the cross section. This is why the 80/110 fits me best, and it's helped by its being on my largest watch, with a 50mm lug-to-lug measurement.

People talk about their watches naturally slipped away on the twelve o'clock side of their wrist, and I think for my wrist this is exacerbated by twelve o'clock portion of the strap trying to slip around to its happiest place.

I'm now wondering how my chances of finding 85/105 straps are....

2. Likes rfortson liked this post
    Hand made might be one option. Also, some brands do extra short or long straps so you might be able to find someone who will sell you the long side of one strap and the short side of another (though maybe not).

Not trying to sound smart-a$$ here.. i have several dozens of aftermarket straps and i just love straps, but sadly most of them just doesn't fit me right and i have 6,7" wrist..
    like Olly said, custom straps is one of your option.. and honestly why i was experimenting with making my own strap... the 'fit me perfectly' and durability are now covered, but still improving to better 'look'.

but agree with your point.. when a strap size fits the watch and hug the wrist perfectly, especially when it complement the watch look.. make the watch more dear and near to our heart =)

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Hand made might be one option. Also, some brands do extra short or long straps so you might be able to find someone who will sell you the long side of one strap and the short side of another (though maybe not).
    The styles of strap I tend to prefer don't equate to the styles done by custom makers. I might start peering at companies who offer straps in XL and see what exactly they're doing. Eg 80/120 rather than 75/115? If so that might be worth investigating for watches with short lug to lugs

Hirsch and Rios both do a variety of lengths at a reasonable price point.

Hirsch is not quite what I'm looking for - either 70/110 or 80/120 - but Rios standard size, for 18mm lugs at least, appears to be 80/113. Lots to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Hirsch is not quite what I'm looking for - either 70/110 or 80/120 - but Rios standard size, for 18mm lugs at least, appears to be 80/113. Lots to look at
    I really like the Rios New Orleans, have 3 of them.

I seem to have gone off white stitching for the time being. But the Miami is a nice one for a thin croc style. I've noticed that watches that are designed for bracelets prefer a strap to be at least 5mm thick at the lug

I have a similar issue, with the added "problem" that my wrist is exactly between any two holes. I did order a custom strap once and it was the only one that fit perfectly. However, I've never looked into the "flopping over" phenomenon that you mentioned. Maybe the next time I order a custom strap, I'll play around with the various lengths.

11. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    I have a similar issue, with the added "problem" that my wrist is exactly between any two holes. I did order a custom strap once and it was the only one that fit perfectly. However, I've never looked into the "flopping over" phenomenon that you mentioned. Maybe the next time I order a custom strap, I'll play around with the various lengths.
    Yeah, most my straps have that problem too, to a degree But I notice that over time (quite a bit of time) as the leather moulds to the shape of the arm the strap gets looser and you can then move it up a notch.