Likes Likes:  69
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Incoming - received this afternoon

Incoming - received this afternoon

I have been inspired by member CFR and his AMAZING vintage Omega photos, so much so that I have been on a quest for the last few weeks to find a good example for myself. I have spent countless hours just looking at images on the web, time I really should be doing more productive things, but when I get my mind set on something, I go all in. I have learned this is pretty tough with the many fakes and poor redials out there, and I still really don' t know what I am doing, but it's a fun learning process. I finally arrived at something that didn't break the bank too badly, and looks nice. I wanted a steel case with sub seconds dial, no date, the applied gold numerals were icing on the cake. When I opened the package, it really was a stunner, better than these photos. I think the extreme closeup enhances any defects.

BUT...

It's just too damn small. I don't mind small watches, in fact I was really looking forward to something that was refreshingly a bit smaller and more formal than my 42mm PO. The ad said 34mm, but it was really 33.7mm. It's just too small.

The good news is my wife, who could care less about watches (she likes her Baby G shock) was really stunned by how nice it looked. In fact I think she was more excited that I was, her eyes lit right up, which in turn made me feel good, as I think it will now be her watch.

I purchased this because I wanted something that would go nicely with a gray suit, as I will be a best man in a wedding this summer. Was hoping to add the panache of a vintage Omega on my wrist, and hopefully it, with the help of a few shots, will give me courage to give the speech. Just joking, only the shots can do that, haha.

If only it were a mm or two larger:

Oreo does not approve

So...still on the hunt. The Nomos Orion is looking better and better to me by the minute, but damn I want an Omega..badly.

These words literally came out of my mouth: "Oh, that is lovely."

-hayday

PS; Bite me, Oreo!
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

That watch is gorgeous, gnyork. Too bad it is too small...but what a great gift for your wife. If she ever gets tired of it, please let me know!

4. Likes gnuyork, hayday liked this post
    Yes, it may be a bit small for what you're probably used to wear. I try to keep them at 35-36mm but I have one at 33 that I don't wear that often. Give it a try for a few days on your wrist. I feel that sometimes we only need a small adjustment period and it may work. Oh yes: and the watch does look really nice!
    Congratulations.

6. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    PS; Bite me, Oreo!
    Don't worry, he will, right on your ankles... (not really)
    Last edited by gnuyork; Apr 22, 2015 at 01:19 AM.

8. Likes hayday, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGtime View Post
    That watch is gorgeous, gnyork. Too bad it is too small...but what a great gift for your wife. If she ever gets tired of it, please let me know!

Thanks, Jane. I'll be sure to let you know if it doesn't work out.

10. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Don't worry, he will, right on your ankles... (not really)
    I have a chaweenie (dachshund-chihahua mix) who does the same thing.

-hayday
    Last edited by hayday; Apr 22, 2015 at 01:27 AM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. Likes JAGtime, gnuyork liked this post
    Beautiful watch! well done!

34mm watches are still wearable, just have to get used to it. But I can see that the wife wouldn't have any problems strapping it on that beauty. Wonderful.

14. Likes CFR, gnuyork liked this post
    That actually look really GOOD!!.. it would be perfect if it is 36-37mm..

still it is an awesome looking vintage... now reward yourself with 1000posts Gold Badge!!

16. Likes is that my watch, gnuyork liked this post
    Regardless of its size, congratulations on a nice pick up. It really looks stunning.

Agree that it is small (I am in the camp of larger size watches, so I could be bias), but look at it on a positive note - your wife now owns a stunning looking piece!

18. Likes gnuyork liked this post