Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Need some help on a project

Need some help on a project

Got a problem with a project (‘project’ – defined as something that seemed like a good idea at the time but has now racked up more time, money, and effort than it could possibly be worth). Please understand that even though I know no one is likely to no for sure, I’ll gladly listen to any insights you all may have.

Firstly: I periodically buy a specific case style of vintage Tissot. They crammed anything they could in it so I sometimes find something I want.
    Secondly: For some reason, last year I became interested in owning an ESA/ETA 915X powered watch.
    Coincidentally, I located a watch with the case style I like and the desired movement. Bought it, movement junk, dial great. Spent months finding a good movement/bad esthetics, combined parts. Now have one good watch.

Now, one dial was beyond shot so is I threw it away months ago. During numerous removals/reattachments of the good dial/hands I noticed small flecks of paint or lume falling off.
    Name:  Dial from above with arrow.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  103.2 KB
    They LOOK like paint, not lume but I see no reason to put paint there.
    Name:  Close up index with arrow.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  58.5 KB
    And I think lume MIGHT look really great on these ‘crystal’ indexes.

The dial indicates that the hands were tritiumed (and they obviously were) but doesn't have the second ‘T’ to indicate that the indexes were so treated. But (the plot thickens) maybe they forgot because they had to put the patent holders name(as in Licensed by ATO) on the dial where it would normally go
    .Name:  Swiss Made .jpg
Views: 129
Size:  75.5 KB

So – anybody have any idea what the original state was – simple paint or tritium? An educated guess? An extrapolation from similar index markers?

2. Likes FuzzyB, Matt, is that my watch liked this post
    I haven't got a clue, but I love the idea of the lume shining through the crystal markers.

4. Likes FuzzyB, is that my watch liked this post
    Those markers are very cool!

My guess is that is white paint. The angled undercut would reflect the white of the paint. You can see the effect by comparing the 10 and 11 o'clock markers. The 11 o'clock marker has the paint and appears white, but the 10 o'clock marker is missing the paint. Or at least that's my somewhat educated guess.

Lume would be very cool! Just as the optics of the markers show the white paint, the lume would be reflected off that angled surface and give an impressive light show. Some light from the lume would also be directed towards the dial. If you do put lume on it, I'd love to see the results!

6. Likes Henry Krinkle, Churchy, Donf liked this post
    Is all the lume complete shot? Does the flaked off piece glow in the dark at all?

I don't have an answer for you, other than they would soon be lumped if that piece were in my hands.

MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Those markers are very cool!

My guess is that is white paint. The angled undercut would reflect the white of the paint. You can see the effect by comparing the 10 and 11 o'clock markers. The 11 o'clock marker has the paint and appears white, but the 10 o'clock marker is missing the paint. Or at least that's my somewhat educated guess.

Lume would be very cool! Just as the optics of the markers show the white paint, the lume would be reflected off that angled surface and give an impressive light show. Some light from the lume would also be directed towards the dial. If you do put lume on it, I'd love to see the results!
    That's what I thought. I worked on some photocopier control panels that had polymer reflectors that were painted to make them look whiter rather than grey.

Which watch today Churchy?

It looks like it was paint, but it really should be lume. Blue lume!

The great thing is that in that position, even an carefully daubed spot of lume would look great!

11. Likes Donf liked this post
    Go for lume!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Thanks all, you've given me a direction to go -lume it is.

14. Likes Der Amf, Churchy liked this post