Likes Likes:  170
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MORE FOR A SCORE IV - Potential entries thread

MORE FOR A SCORE IV - Potential entries thread

As ISMY has kindly agreed to run another More For A Score competition and given the all clear to start buying stuff to enter later It's probably worth having a thread for the stuff people might buy. (In other words I'm over excited and can't wait to start...)

For those who haven't played, the rules are simple. (and ISMY's decision is final so what I'm about to write is up for confirmation)

1) buy anything that tells the time for under twenty pounds (or whatever the local equivalent is).

2) New, old, pocket watch, alarm clock, Mickey Mouse watch, whatever you fancy.

3) Provide some sort of proof of purchase - this could be a receipt or, more likely a link to the sale - and lots of pictures of your bargains.

4) Try to keep the postage within the £20, (but in practice this is fairly elastic as long as it is not silly - don't miss out on something amazing for want of £3 postage )

5) Broken watches are fine as long as disclosed. Heroic efforts to repair, recondition and generally improve watches and clocks at home are encouraged.

6) the closing date will arrive by popular consent and then there will be a series of polls to decide the winning watch. There's a badge, bragging rights and whatever extra prizes members want to put in the pot.

7) there is no limit on how many watches you can buy, discuss and wonder aloud about, but you can only make one formal entry.

The more the merrier and good luck to all.

2. Likes is that my watch, DJW GB liked this post
    yep sounds right was getting on to it tomorrow funny day today (well not funny but you know how it goes ) only thing I might change up is the buying time frame last time it ended up way to long and we lost momentum and direction a bit so was thinking some thing like say maybe three weeks to buy something

plus am just sorting out the finally of the last one to to start fresh like so yeah ..this will do fine till I got some thing set up to put the entries but most everything else can go here
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

4. Likes Matt liked this post
    you know I almost bought two womens watches to enter a longines ladies 22mm and a rather stunning little seiko for no money but again around 22mm been 30mm might just have gone for them

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

I confess I’ve already made a couple of speculative purchases. The Seiko with the pretty dial I’ve already posted elsewhere, but I’ve also bought something supremely ugly, complicated and broken to fiddle with:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERTINA-Q...72.m2749.l2649

To be honest, I doubt I’d vote for it, but it’s certainly interesting. Searching around, it feels like there are richer pickings than last time. I’m pretty sure I”ve got a credible entry already. More later...

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    you know I almost bought two womens watches to enter a longines ladies 22mm and a rather stunning little seiko for no money but again around 22mm been 30mm might just have gone for them

I keep thinking we should one day do a version in which everyone is looking for the best ladies watch, precisely because of things like this. It is astonishing how much cheaper watches as pretty and technically accomplished can be. I assume that one day they’ll return to fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I keep thinking we should one day do a version in which everyone is looking for the best ladies watch, precisely because of things like this. It is astonishing how much cheaper watches as pretty and technically accomplished can be. I assume that one day they’ll return to fashion.
    yes the prices on the ladies watches from really good brands are a joke take the longines ok the dial and case had wear but fully working and it sold for £12 plus post the seiko hi-beat is the same suppose to be fully working and that is at a buy now of £12 plus post
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes Matt liked this post
    I'll see if I can find something worth entering

Oh and I still have the mickey mouse watch from the original more for a score

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Check you my youtube channel - Blanchy Talks Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    I'll see if I can find something worth entering

Oh and I still have the mickey mouse watch from the original more for a score

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Perhaps we should do a thread showcasing the watches from previous competitions that we have a soft spot for.

Meanwhile, I've got me a fixer upper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223485706098

That's fifteen quid leaving me a fiver for a new bezel...

Now you might be thinking that this is just another unremarkable 'SubUlike' clone from China, but you'd be very wrong. Blandford Sub Aqua are a rather serious diving company who had their watches built for them by Squale. So this is, to all intents and purposes a vintage MK I Squale 1545 with a posh dial. The only problem is, at 43mm it's a bit large for my tastes. Mind you, if I can sort the dial and hands and get the right bezel insert for a fiver then it could be truly lovely.

Or I could just stick with the merely 37mm ladies version for £19.99:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blandford...72.m2749.l2649

It was surreal that the thing about Jenny being an unheard of company that made dive watches for people no one had heard of was posted not long after I dug up both of these by working out who Squale had made watches for and looking for the most arcane brand.

I'm pretty sure one or the other will be my entry.
    Last edited by Matt; May 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM.

14. Likes DJW GB liked this post