Likes Likes:  170
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MORE FOR A SCORE IV - Potential entries thread

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The paddle shaped leaf spring that is meant to sit on top of the shaft for the second hand has somehow been pushed to one side and is fouling it. Whether the pressure alone was enough or whether it moved it out of position isn't clear, but it worked as soon as I stopped it fouling. I'm always in a fixing mood!
    thought so but was not sure

well with my sad's some time I am sometimes just want to throw it all against the wall
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Well, in what can only be described as a game of two halves, the Certina has arrived. On the one hand:

It took about twenty minutes to coax it into life. However, on the other hand:

There's no denying that it has all the aesthetic qualities of a used dustbin. So, while I'm sure it has a hallowed place in the annals of horological misadventure, it's going straight into my box of oddities, only to be rescued when it comes up in some obscure way or I need to wear a watch that demonstrates that not all vintage watches connote taste and good judgement. I wouldn't vote for it and I wouldn't expect anyone else to.

3. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that succeeding, as you so often do, helps.

Matt.

This may be my entry but not definite as there is something else on the list.

Billy super duper

6. Likes is that my watch, Matt liked this post
    Next, working through the stuff that arrived today we finally get to the Blandford. As you'd expect from Squale, the case is brilliant, it's not as sub like as I expected, thinner but with a really satisfying heft to it. Not too heavy but with signs of quality like a keyed screw in pendant for the screw down crown, an nice smooth fine thread for the caseback and, even in this poor battered thing, a nice crown action.

However...

Opening it up was a bit of a shock. I was expecting the standard ETA flatline of six or seven jewels, but Blandford have clearly prioritised on the engineering and aesthetics, because the movement is... Well... here's a helpful video:

https://miyotamovement.com/

Yup, it's that movement, the Miyota 2115. The watch movement that has evolved, over decades, to demonstrate precisely what you can get away with in an analogue quartz and still have decent, reliable, accurate timekeeping for about fifteen years with nothing more than a battery change every couple of years. I like to pretend that I'm entirely Catholic in my watch tastes and can find something to love in pretty well anything, but it's not quite true. I just can't stand good enough for good enough's sake; building down to the lowest common denominator and demonstrating just how cheap a reliable accurate movement can be. Well now I've got to put up with it.

I'm actually a bit put out that, having spent £12 on the big Blandford and £2.99 on postage, I now have a brand new movement, complete with stem and bloody battery for the grand price of £2.79.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-Japan...72.m2749.l2649

That's right, a brand new movement for less than the postage of the damned watch. It's apparently the 133rd that this seller has recently sold, so it's just what they cost. I could have splashed out on jewels for a quid more. Free postage has been thrown in!

I've also bought a new 30x37.5 bezel insert for the equally laughable price of £1.42. That's not even half the price of the whole bloody movement. The world is mad.

I make that £19.21. If I can get a genuine 200m diver back on the road for £20 I'll be impressed, but I'll still struggle to know it's powered by the movement that won the race to the bottom.

8. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that succeeding, as you so often do, helps.

Matt.
    good days bad days you know how it goes

talking of success been playing with a casio alt-6000 was in worse shape then advertised missing screws both inside and outside other damages but got it up and running just need a casio strap as on a nato at the minute
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DJW GB View Post
    This may be my entry but not definite as there is something else on the list.

Billy super duper
    That looks prim and proper.

11. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    That looks prim and proper.
    yes prim comes to mind too
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

13. Likes DJW GB liked this post

Billy super duper

maybe a cal 68.4 ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy