Likes Likes:  10

View Poll Results: Is the Planet Ocean worth almost 2k more?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

11 57.89%
  • No.

8 42.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The always fun This Vs. That Thread:

Blog Entries

The always fun This Vs. That Thread:

If anybody has read my few blog posts, you'll know I'm going for my grail (or grail level) watch. Presently I'm officially going for the Breitling Avenger II Seawolf-

Name:  2015-04-23 06.43.43.png
Views: 301
Size:  66.8 KB

As most of you know I'm a fan of durable. And this has it. 3000m water resistant, and the solid stainless bezel looks quite tough. But it is missing one thing. Something I loved on my seastar. This-
    Name:  seamasterPlanet_02644_4.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  73.5 KB

The Breitling has no display back. But the Omega Planet Ocean does. I'm hoping this purchase lasts me at least a couple of decades. (I really want to get this grail nonsense out of the way so I can focus on some other things). Now the Planet Ocean doesn't 'look' as tough, and has that Ceramic bezel -

Name:  0001683_0_Large.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  51.5 KB

Water resistance is a moot point, I'll never test either of them. And I suppose the ceramic bezel thing is moot too, since I'll be placing insurance on it. (Its own policy, a very nice setup for not a bad price).

So the only deciding difference is that wonderful display back. But here's my question:

Is the Planet Ocean worth 1,962.65$ more?

(all images taken from a google search, if an image belongs to you, contact me and I can either credit you or remove the image)
    Last edited by Spooky; Apr 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM.

A display back is no deal breaker for me ………..and I quite like that Breitling …………………but the Omega is worth the extra money in my opinion.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

The always fun This Vs. That Thread:

They are both awesome. I've owned a PO and my buddy just bought that exact Seawolf. IMO though the PO is nice it's not worth that much extra money. I believe the Wolf can be had at a very good price. No doubt you will love either. Good luck

Pro: view of movement
    Con: two grand
    Con: not the watch you've been wanting

Possible solution: the Breitling plus another watch with a display back and a very pretty (?manual) movement that costs less than two grand

Does the Omega sing to you like the Breitling does?

I usually prefer Omega to Breitling, but I feel the same way about the helium wart as do many about the Cyclops. So in this case, I'd probably go with the Seawolf.
    Updated after some divestment:

Glashütte Original Senator Hand Date (GONE) | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow (GONE - turns out I don’t much care for chronographs) | Omega Seamaster 300 GMT "Great White" | Rolex Datejust 16013 | Ulysse Nardin 14K chronometre (c. 1960s) | Marathon TSAR | Meistersinger Metris | Apple Watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Pro: view of movement
    Con: two grand
    Con: not the watch you've been wanting

Possible solution: the Breitling plus another watch with a display back and a very pretty (?manual) movement that costs less than two grand

Does the Omega sing to you like the Breitling does?

See there's the funny thing. I've handled the Breitling and loved it, at an AD 600'ish miles from my home. While I live ~ 45 minutes away from an Omega Ad, but haven't been there yet. That thought has occured to me too. Hamilton and Tissot have a couple of nice skeletons I would consider, for much less than 2K.

I think the Breitling looks absolutely nails, whereas the Omega is a bit of an all round crowd pleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I think the Breitling looks absolutely nails, whereas the Omega is a bit of an all round crowd pleaser
    Could you translate that into English, please? Is "nails" good?

I've never been a big fan of the pronounce ordinal protrusions on Breitling bezels, but they are part of Breitling's signature style and I'm all for watches that have a signature style. So, that comes down to preference. Likewise the angled bracelet links.

I want a display back when there is something that really needs to be displayed. I don't know what movement is in the Breitling, but I suspect that if it's two grand cheaper than the Omega, it is a supplied movement that would be easy find in other watches at lower price points. Display backs and rugged tool watches are bit conflicted as concepts.

Rick "whose deep diver has a much different look than either of the above" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

9. Likes Spooky, Donf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    The Breitling for me loses out because of the bezel. The no paint/no lume look makes the bezel much less functional and I am not a fan of less utility in a utility watch.

Philosophically, I love both Omega and Breitling, so that's not a big sway here, the brand name, anyway.

Have you looked at other Breitling divers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    The Breitling for me loses out because of the bezel. The no paint/no lume look makes the bezel much less functional and I am not a fan of less utility in a utility watch.

Philosophically, I love both Omega and Breitling, so that's not a big sway here, the brand name, anyway.

Have you looked at other Breitling divers?

I gave the Avenger II GMT a good look. But decided I liked 3000m wr and HEV more. None of it is anything more than superfluous anyway. My G-shock is all anybody logically would need.

As far as the movement difference goes. It is my understanding that the Breitling 17 movement is based on the ETA 2824. So even with a display back it may not be the most exciting.

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post