Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying the cheapest watch in a brand collection.

Hybrid View

Buying the cheapest watch in a brand collection.

I have been putting together a wish list for my 50th (birthday not watch) it is over a year away but I want time to save up and obsessively ponder my choice.
    I have a Pinterest board for my goal and my stretch goal depending on how good business is and how much I put away.

What do you feel about buying the least expensive watch in a range?

Let me start off with just 1 example, FPJourne.
    If I save up I could just about get to the level of a Chronometre Bleu. A beautiful watch in my opinion, how would you feel knowing you had reached you limit but just reached the lowest price point of that brand.

Would you prefer to be at the top of a less expensive range?
    I know this is a pure subjective choice, but what does your gut tell you?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

2. Likes CamB, Chronopolitano liked this post
    Interesting question. I pondered this last year when I decided I wanted to get back into Rolex. I had to decide whether I wanted to just go for an entry-level piece like the Air-King, or go higher up. It turns out I didn't really care. I cared more about whether I actually liked the watch in question more than where it ranked in the company's lineup. I know there are people who might poop on someone who, for a variety of reasons, might choose an entry-level piece, but who cares about their opinion?
    FWIW- if you like that Journe, don't overthink things too much. Get it. If you feel you can reasonably wait while you save up for a higher-dollar model, do that. But don't feel bad about getting in to an entry-level watch. Just be happy with your purchase!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

4. Likes Samanator, Nokie, birdynamnam, Nutty28, shemp liked this post
    Cheers Sherry, the thing is even if I save up and business is Fab, I will only just reach the Bleu as a stretch goal, I could not afford to consider going beyond that (4kids) . I feel the same about a Patek for instance where I an Aquanaut would be a comparable choice but the base model.
    Where as just for sake of an example if I wanted a Rolex Sub the Deepsea (perceived top of the range) would be in reach.

Would it feel better to have the top of the range on your wrist?

I have just used the Deepsea for illustration, not intending to debate the relative merits of the Rolex range just price points of the steel models.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Would it feel better to have the top of the range on your wrist?......
    Nope. Not for me. I like certain watches because I like them. And not just within one company's range; I like my G-Shocks as much as I like my Rolexes, Tudors, Eternas, etc. My watch likes have nothing to do with price, status, or "prestige". I like (and buy) certain watches because I like them. Nothing more.

Edit: don't get me wrong. I do educate myself on brands I'm interested in. In their history, quality, movements, cases, and so on. And those do play at least a minor role in my choice of wristwear, but ultimately, my choice boils down to a combination of everything, but mostly.....if I like it and will be happy wearing it.

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; Nov 18, 2014 at 04:26 AM.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

7. Likes uchinanchu, Rob, MarkO, M. Montaigne liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    I cared more about whether I actually liked the watch in question more than where it ranked in the company's lineup.
    ~Sherry.
    I agree with Sherry. First and foremost is how I feel about the watch in question. I do think branding matters in the sense that it tells you what you can expect from a manufacturer in terms of quality, and customer experience. Where a particular model fits in a brands lineup is of no consequence for me personally. If I preferred a Air King to a Deep Sea I wouldn't feel like I bought a lower quality Rolex.

9. Likes MarkO, Nutty28 liked this post
    The Bleu is a truly wonderful piece that requires no justification by comparison to any other watch within the brand or not.

I have no problem going low-end in the range. I have the IWC Spitfire chrono 3717 which ran about $5k (more or less bottom of IWC's pricing).......

..... and I LOVE it!

Name:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 307
Size:  83.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WWII70; Nov 18, 2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: update
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

11. Likes MarkO, popoki nui, Ryan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    The Bleu is a truly wonderful piece that requires no justification by comparison to any other watch within the brand or not.

I have no problem going low-end in the range. I have the IWC Spitfire chrono 3717 which ran about $5k (more or less bottom of IWC's pricing).......

..... and I LOVE it!

Name:  iwc.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  116.9 KB
    IWC is a brand from which I would ONLY consider "entry level" watches with third party movements. This is the only Ingy I like.

Aside from purchase price, I wouldn't want to be stuck with IWC when it comes to servicing for the dubious pleasure of a movement that looks pretty but offers little other than a quirky winding system and asks that you wear something resembling a 1:3 scale Millennium Falcon on your arm.
    Last edited by GaryF; Nov 20, 2014 at 09:02 AM.

13. Likes MarkO liked this post
    I have only one significant (IMO) thought on that.

Some brands, like TAG Heuer for example, go from standard ETA movements up to some pretty sweet in-house movements for not a whole lot more money.

I'm not an in-house snob by any means, but I think observing those trends within a brand will tell you a lot about low-end vs high-end when you ponder a brand.

15. Likes Domo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post

..... and I LOVE it!

Name:  iwc.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  116.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by RobotAZ View Post
    I have only one significant (IMO) thought on that.

Some brands, like TAG Heuer for example, go from standard ETA movements up to some pretty sweet in-house movements for not a whole lot more money.

I'm not an in-house snob by any means, but I think observing those trends within a brand will tell you a lot about low-end vs high-end when you ponder a brand.
    RobotAZ is right, 3717 has a modified 7750 but a Valjoux nonetheless. Although it is far and away my most consistently accurate piece.........
    Last edited by WWII70; Nov 18, 2014 at 02:51 AM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Name:  Unknown-4.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  73.7 KB

Yeh I have one, the Speedmaster 3510.50. Now Ive been around watch forums long enough to know a lot Omega people look down their nose at this one. Doesn't worry me though - its a super watch in in its own right and even though its entry level Omega, its pretty cool in my book.