Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Bremont write up

Tampa, Florida and Daytona Beach, Florida

My Bremont write up

I haven't done this in a long time so I'm rusty.

My initial photos and the photos from the previous owner are here> https://flic.kr/s/aHskQzaiMz This should give you a decent look at the dial and the case.

My taste and choice has evolved. I remember early on how much I liked applied markers on a dial such as what Rolex and Omega currently use. But this seems to be trending to larger and larger markers which I now am not a huge fan of. Applied markers are still fine if they are not so in your face, and I don't like a dial that is crowded with words.

Enter this, the Bremont S301/BK. It is exactly what I prefer to have, for this type of watch, today.

The dial>
    96d47c5449a7188dd069cf5e54e15565 by Chuck M, on Flickr

Painted on and nicely proportioned hour markers that do not overtake the entire dial. Just a wee bit of accent color used for the red second hand tip and the model name. Bremont used a perfect matte black color to lay everything on to. While I do really like the sunburst dial some of my watches have, this matte finish lets your eyes focus on what is important for knowing the time, the hands and markers.

The hands>
    b6c7f11add92462942e37396d5b1c25e by Chuck M, on Flickr

Again, nicely proportioned. Not fat nor razor thin they are easy to see and read at a glance. I like the shape and design, it makes me think of what an Old World English clock might have used. A glint of silver edge for daylight viewing and about 90% of the hand is lumed for nighttime.

The bezel>
    20190418_112154 by Chuck M, on Flickr

Again, nicely proportioned. The size of the font is just right, it isn't so large that it would distract your attention (that bugs me a bit about my Omega Great White GMT). The same matte black base lets the numbers be the focus. 120 click coin edge that works well and doesn't feel like a saw blade.

The case>
    52b1dfedd6426f704c37a3bd87c0e789 by Chuck M, on Flickr

It's unique. The side view of the lugs shows they are different from the norm and I like that. The side view of the case shows 4 distinct elements - the bezel, the top edge of the case, the body of the case, and then the back cover. This design adds an element that disguises the overall thickness. Not that it is a tall watch at all but your eyes don't see the full height, you notice each part separately.

The aged patina color of the markers>

6f46f221ee8e6a347e1f49948e2b9d5b by Chuck M, on Flickr

Love that. Back when Omega released the retro Seamaster 300 tribute watch I was taken with the aged lume color. Bremont has used that very well here. White marker paint certainly is visible but this aged color is so fetching.

The movement>

It is based on (or may completely be) a respected ETA. It winds very smoothly and sets like butter. The stem has a bit of play when the crown is pulled out and I wish that was rock solid, but oh well, I don't walk around with it pulled out. This one is running overall at +3s/day.

The caseback>
    20190418_114333 by Chuck M, on Flickr
    20190418_114248 by Chuck M, on Flickr

It's a cool ass seaplane and who doesn't like that.

Currently I am wearing the tan color Cordura strap. It's a nice match to the aged color.
    Last edited by chuckmiller; May 21, 2019 at 03:37 PM.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

A nice subdued clarity about that one, and the profile view is superb.

Congrats - that's a beauty!

I love the side view and the lugs.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

Congrats. I love that caseback.

Thanks, that's a great write up of a fine watch. I admit I hadn't seen the side view and struggled for a moment, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. Looking at it again, I can't help feeling that the lugs are precisely the shape of something like the Hawker Hawk. Which is nice.

I'm going to have to keep looking at it for a while but that is growing on me.

Thanks again.

Tampa, Florida and Daytona Beach, Florida
    It is definitely not just more of the same old same.

20190520_151540 by Chuck M, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ... I hadn't seen the side view and struggled for a moment, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.

Thanks again.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

7. Likes spronston liked this post
    I've admired that particular Bremont for the same reasons you do. Congratulations and wear it in good health!

Blog Entries
    That's a beautiful watch. I love the visual interest that the layered case offers, with the matte black cylinder in the middle of the sandwich.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Yes. If I were to get a Bremont, this one could be the one. I'm not a fan of their promotional tactics, or the silly editions with bits of things in them. If they concentrated on beautiful and unique designs like this, it would be a good thing IMO.

Great write up. I had the older edition and liked it very much. Was a bit heavy though.