Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert Island Discs

Desert Island Discs

I'm not sure how far the format has spread over the years, but in the UK at least Desert Island Discs is something of an institution. It's a radio programme with a very simple format that has been running for over 70 years and has clocked up 3000 episodes.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Island_Discs
    Each week a celebrity or other notable person is interviewed and asked to pick the 8 pieces of music they would want to have with them if they were marooned on a desert island. They also get to take one book (in addition to The Bible and Complete Works of Shakespeare which they get for free) and one luxury item (which can be another person, or anything that would aid their escape or facilitate communication with the rest of the world).

So, what would you take?

Music:
    Heroin - The Velvet Underground
    People Like Us - Talking Heads
    If You Could Read My Mind - Johnny Cash
    As - Stevie Wonder
    Time - Tom Waits
    You and Your Sister - This Mortal Coil
    First of the Gang - Morrissey
    You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones

Book: Deadline at Dawn by Cornell Woolrich

Luxury item: a non-networked computer to write on.
    http://open.spotify.com/user/whatmew...bOmJdwLPoaB1H1
    Spotify play list:
    Last edited by whatmeworry; Apr 24, 2015 at 06:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    We always played Island Five. Five things by category (movies, books, albums, et al) that you would take. I need to do some thinking to expand it to 8.

I've been dreading this since Run The Jewels 2 came out. Now I need to have RTJ 1 and RTJ 2 there, since you can't have just one.

That requires thought...

...uh, do you want me to think?

5. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    That requires thought...

...uh, do you want me to think?
    Well, given the level of response so far I think we need to strike the right balance. So let's just say that you won't be held to your answers if you ever are marooned.

MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    To be fair the people who are on the show get a few weeks notice at least, certainly more than 15 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchy View Post
    To be fair the people who are on the show get a few weeks notice at least, certainly more than 15 hours.
    I'll expect a flurry of responses mid May then

9. Likes Henry Krinkle, Jeannie liked this post
    I'll just take eight tracks of the Polish metal band Hey, from their "Fire" and "?" albums, eg

You're going to need music that makes you feel like you've still got life and depth

11. Likes whatmeworry liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Well, given the level of response so far I think we need to strike the right balance. So let's just say that you won't be held to your answers if you ever are marooned.
    Next question. I am assuming Wagner's "The Ring" counts as one piece of music, correct? I can certainly be bought in one package.

Sidebar: Once, when I was still in high school, I listened to the entire Ring cycle in order, at one go, without pause or sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Next question. I am assuming Wagner's "The Ring" counts as one piece of music, correct? I can certainly be bought in one package.

Sidebar: Once, when I was still in high school, I listened to the entire Ring cycle in order, at one go, without pause or sleep.
    I'll say yes