Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Update: Fund raising initiative for Size Chimimba

Update: Fund raising initiative for Size Chimimba

Last year I posted information about a fundraising initiative for Size Chimimba. This is not a request for further donations. However, I wanted to update the forum as some members had generously donated to the cause and may have been wondering why there had not been any updates. There's quite a lot of bad news, but I promise it ends with some good news.

First a bit of background: Size was working as a security guard in the complex I was living in, but had a dream to become a wildlife ranger, protecting our diminishing natural resources from illegal poaching. Getting a ranger qualification in South Africa would allow him to work closer to his family in Zimbabwe, while still earning much-needed foreign currency.

Since Go-Fund-Me is not available in South Africa, I launched a fund-raising campaign on a local alternative called Back-a-Buddy. The day the initiative went live, Back-a-Buddy switched over to a new payment platform and while all donations were accounted for, some international donors received fraud warnings from their credit card companies.

This took a few days to sort out, robbing us of momentum and bringing things to a halt. Shortly afterwards, I sold up and moved away from the Strand, but have kept in touch with Size on a regular basis. For his part, he continued saving towards his dream job while still supporting his family back in Zimbabwe. In the meantime, his younger brother had come out to South Africa, also to work as a security guard. It is a low paid job, but employment opportunities in Zimbabwe are scarce.

In December I received bad news – his brother had come home from a shift to find burglars in the shack he shared with Size. He confronted them and was fatally stabbed. As the only one in his family earning foreign currency, Size had to shoulder the financial burden of dealing with the bureaucracy and repatriating his brother’s remains. Culturally, it was very important for his family that he be buried at home.

Then in March of this year, Cyclone Idai moved inland leaving a trail of devastation from Mozambique to Zimbabwe. Size’s family members were spared, but they lost most of their belongings and he again had to help them out, depleting what he had left of his savings.

So it was with tremendous pleasure that I was able to contact Size this week and inform him that a generous sponsor has agreed to make up any shortfall and will be sending him on the Wildlife Guardianship Course run by the South African Wildlife College. Size was equal parts over-joyed and overwhelmed. He has had such a difficult year. He asked me to thank everyone who had made a contribution.

In early June we hope to have confirmation of the dates of the next course to be run later this year. As soon as we have the dates, the college will raise an invoice and we will shut down the page on Back-a-Buddy, instructing them to pay the full proceeds across to the Wildlife College.

Our other donor will then make up the difference. My heartfelt thanks to everyone on here who contributed financially and help spread the news. A big thanks also to our moderator, Alan, who approved these postings. I will stay in touch with Size on this journey and hope to keep updating you all on his progress in the coming months.

Many, many thanks,
    Frank
    Last edited by FSM71; May 27, 2019 at 05:57 PM.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

The elements of tragedy and hardship are just too awful... but make the contrast of the successful outcome even greater.

You have done a great thing.

3. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    I had not seen this prior, and if another initiative for funding transpires, please apprise by PM.

Great work, FSM71!

Thanks guys.

Since I work in the Middle East, I may not raise funds without a license.

I will just say that the link from last year is still up and valid. You can search for his name on the Back-a-Buddy website @.co.za domain.

Our benefactor will cover any shortfall, but the more we raise, the more he has for other initiatives.

Thanks again for the support.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...