Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

OK, am I nuts thinking like this?

Just picked up a new to me Seamaster Pro and I have a Speedy Pro, thinking of selling the latter and getting the NEDU, blue dial, which I have always loved.

The Speedy fits like a glove and so does the NEDU, even though it's thick, it curves right around my wrist.

Why am I even thinking of this? The Speedy is delicate...hesalite crystal and not much WR, and all of my watches see boats, beach and water quite a bit, so it relegates the Speedy to nights on the town and casual gatherings, not much of a sport watch....right?

Tell me I'm crazy for thinking of selling the Speedy, an iconic watch, for the Ball. I know the Ball is every bit the quality of the Omega, I've had several Ball watches, but I am without one now and I miss the tritium and ruggedness and want one in my collection....and the NEDU has been at the top of my Ball watch wish list for a while. Also, note, that I am, other than Seiko, a one watch per brand guy...and now that there will be two Omega's in the stable...hmmm.

Sure, I can sell the Speedy for more than I will pay for the Ball, but that's not the point....what would you do?

Please note that it is not an option to have both as I want just one chronograph in the collection, other than "affordables".

Name:  Ball Nedu.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  28.0 KBName:  Speedy 2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  303.0 KB
    Last edited by wschofield3; May 28, 2019 at 02:01 AM.

If you think you'll like the Ball NEDU more, I say go for it. Speedy isn't in short supply, you can always pick up another if it doesn't work out with the Ball.

-- Wayne

3. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    You know I’m a Ball fan, but given what the company has done to kill any value in the brand I would not touch one unless you can get it used at 35% or less of retail, or more than 55% off of retail for a new one. I’m seeing a lot more quality issues with them lately. I’ll note also you’ve gone through a few hydrocarbons(don’t you have a Airborne)and they don’t seem to stick. Keep the Speedy is my advice. Get the NADU on a JomaShop sale or when Ball has a preorder for some LE NADU they are due to dream up. Option three would be find a preowned for about $1100. If you want more WR on your Chronograph there are several options to replace the Speedy like maybe a Zenith, a different Speedy, a Breitling or a Tudor. None have GTLS though, but they have a better chance of staying.

As a side note, I’ve avoided a Ball for three years now until they figure out what the want to be? Seems they still don’t know so I continue to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    If you think you'll like the Ball NEDU more, I say go for it. Speedy isn't in short supply, you can always pick up another if it doesn't work out with the Ball.

-- Wayne
    Good advice, however, I would not have both....I'm a little weird about my collecting practices and would only have one "better quality" chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    You know I’m a Ball fan, but given what the company has done to kill any value in the brand I would not touch one unless you can get it used at 35% or less of retail, or more than 55% off of retail for a new one. I’m seeing a lot more quality issues with them lately. I’ll note also you’ve gone through a few hydrocarbons(don’t you have a Airborne)and they don’t seem to stick. Keep the Speedy is my advice. Get the NADU on a JomaShop sale or when Ball has a preorder for some LE NADU they are due to dream up. Option three would be find a preowned for about $1100. If you want more WR on your Chronograph there are several options to replace the Speedy like maybe a Zenith, a different Speedy, a Breitling or a Tudor. None have GTLS though, but they have a better chance of staying.

As a side note, I’ve avoided a Ball for three years now until they figure out what the want to be? Seems they still don’t know so I continue to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Great advice, as usual, Michael, but do you think they have changed their quality overall and made watches "cheaper' in the last couple of years? I know their distribution policies have been questionable...but have not noticed a difference in quality.

The Airborne is gone, I am enamored by the X-Lume (I've had three) and the NEDU.

Yes, I think you’re crazy.

The Speedmaster Pro is a glorious thing, and I’ll confess to a very strong bias against Ball (not related to the watches themselves, but to the company’s proclivity for misinformation).

I used to wear my Speedmaster around water, but not in it. I wouldn’t think twice about car washing, for example, but wouldn’t swim with it.

There’s hardly a chronograph on the planet that I prefer to the Speedmaster - and I don’t even care about it going to the moon.

7. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Which one sings to you?

I have been in Omega boutiques several times trying to convince myself that I need the hesalite Speedy. It's iconic, it's popular, it's historic, it's great value for money, it's easy to offload, the bracelet is superb, it's one of the most legible chronos out there... What's not to like? And unlike Rolex chronographs, the Omegas are within my budget and are actually available in store. Again, what's not to like?

So why didn't I buy the speedy? I wore my Rado rattrapante into the boutique, since that was the chronograph the Omega would have to dethrone. This should have been an easy task for the Omega, but it's personal, not rational. I know that every watch maker, horological enthusiast and collector would recommend the Omega above the Rado, but they won't be wearing it. I'm 'otherwise' about these things. I like to wear the less obvious choice and since I never flip, I'm not bothered by resale value.

So, like I said - get the one that makes you happy and b*gger what anyone else thinks.
    Last edited by FSM71; May 28, 2019 at 07:06 AM.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

Walter, I see nothing nuts in your considerations. You listed reasons why the Speedy doesn't live up to your current likes/needs, do you have reasons to keep it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    what the company has done to kill any value in the brand
    Out of curiosity, mind elaborating on what they've done? Or do you mean more or less the same as below?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I’ll confess to a very strong bias against Ball (not related to the watches themselves, but to the company’s proclivity for misinformation).
    Kinda same.

10. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Well first off we know you are crazy.

I'd go with the watch that sings to you more. If you think the Ball would fit better in your use case scenario than the Speedy then go for it. As others have said Speedys are an easy find so no need to worry if you want another again. I know the Speedy is iconic but it's not a watch I'm really a fan of. The only ones I really like are the Snoopy and the Ultraman.

I'm sure you'll be able to get the Ball at a good price since the brand is going though some changes. Not sure if they are good or bad as I hear different things.

You could also look at some of the new Breitlings as they are putting out some nice stuff lately. Another option is too just not get anything for awhile. Take a break and enjoy Michael's SMP for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

12. Likes happyscrappyheropup, wschofield3 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's nuts. Definitely keep the Speedmaster.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

14. Likes wschofield3, yokied liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Walter, I see nothing nuts in your considerations. You listed reasons why the Speedy doesn't live up to your current likes/needs, do you have reasons to keep it?

Out of curiosity, mind elaborating on what they've done? Or do you mean more or less the same as below?

Kinda same.
    Ball over the last few years has made several moves to drive the resale of watches to less than 30% of retail. This has really killed the brand for people like me that love the designs and the best lume in the business. This was achieved by Ball undercutting the AD by 50%, then dumping stock of existing watches at about 35% of retail. New models are released at 55% off of retail on preorder. These then depreciate 30-40%to set a market value. After preorder what little Ball AD remain (US AD network is nearly pretty much gone) are suppose to sell the same watches for 15-20% off of retail. If you've bought one it will take a 50% hit the minute it ships. Grey market shows 60-70% off of retail regularly. Warranty is now questionable with everything needing to go back to Ball for service which is slow and apparently not really good at fixing things the first time.
    Last edited by Samanator; May 28, 2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

16. Likes rodia77, wschofield3 liked this post