Likes Likes:  172
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Sunday - 2 June 2019 »»»»»»»»»

Quote Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
    Domed dial <3
    Hirsch Mariner 100m WR leather strap, matte finish and contrast stitching are a perfect match and since the watch has 100m WR you can use this combo anywhere.
    Hidden crown is soooo comfortable, at least until you have to adjust time or date.

Sapphire, Sellita SW200, 40mm size, 20mm lugs.
    Quick test and it keeps good time in wrist -5s/d and dial up +2s/d.

For 250€ I think this was quite a bargain.
    Rotary Les Originales Tradition GS90161/32
    Some neverheard "Swiss" 1895 est brand.

Much symmetry, wow, smooth sweep, so dressy.

That is a nice watch, but just so you know, the Rotary brand is fairly well known amongst watch aficionados.

2. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    That is a nice watch, but just so you know, the Rotary brand is fairly well known amongst watch aficionados.
    good go to watch but prices drop fast on them in the second hand market and even retail.. had a few rotary never could knock the watch their rrp is another matter I have moan about three model I bought paid over a ton each time think like off the top of my head £179 / £249 /£299 and with in a year or so the prices they was drop to was beyond a joke again off the top of my read think it was like £99 /£139/ £149 ... so they need to be used and enjoyed ..not keep for special occasions like what I did as they will not hold any real value to sell on
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

4. Likes happyscrappyheropup, iyonk liked this post
    Rotary were, and are, very common in the UK. Most towns, even the smaller ones, would have an independent jewellers with a display of Rotary watches in the window. They were distinctly affordable, but decent. The style was invariably conservative. I wore one myself for several years, and it was my only watch.

They were virtually a British brand, even though made overseas. Once, overseas would have meant Switzerland. From the time that they started saying ‘Swiss since 1895’, it was evident that most of the production happened in the Far East, with only the company origins being entirely Swiss.

The company’s HQ is in London, but the company has been entirely Chinese-owned since 2014. Concurrent with this, Rotary has dropped ‘Swiss’ from the dial. The style of the watches has also been transformed - from conservative ‘gentleman’ style to outright knock-offs of Breitling Navitimers, and so on.

All that said, an older Rotary can be a nice thing, like yours. Any that say ‘Swiss Made’ probably were at least assembled in Switzerland. I don’t think Rotary have ever claimed anything that was untrue, but ‘Swiss since 1895’ was less than the whole story.
    Last edited by tribe125; Jun 2, 2019 at 06:29 PM.

These 2 today.

Cheers,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Rotary were, and are, very common in the UK. Most towns, even the smaller ones, would have an independent jewellers with a display of Rotary watches in the window. They were distinctly affordable, but decent. The style was invariably conservative. I wore one myself for several years, and it was my only watch.

They were virtually a British brand, even though made overseas. Once, overseas would have meant Switzerland. From the time that they started saying ‘Swiss since 1895’, it was evident that most of the production happened in the Far East, with only the company origins being entirely Swiss.

The company’s HQ is in London, but the company has been entirely Chinese-owned since 2014. Concurrent with this, Rotary has dropped ‘Swiss’ from the dial. The style of the watches has also been transformed - from conservative ‘gentleman’ style to outright knock-offs of Breitling Navitimers, and so on.

All that said, an older Rotary can be a nice thing, like yours. Any that say ‘Swiss Made’ probably were at least assembled in Switzerland. I don’t think Rotary have ever claimed anything that was untrue, but ‘Swiss since 1895’ was less than the whole story.
    but vintage rotary talking very early was a whole another thing they are something special but when they became a fashion brand they lost it ..as you say the modern stuff is just to the large part homage watches and still not that cheap like the avenger they are doing but the price nah ant happening for me yet
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

this one for me

Name:  DSCF3760.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  111.7 KB
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    hey you
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

10. Likes CFR, pacifico66 liked this post
    William L 1985 Automatic Panda.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

I bought the watch just a month ago and tbh I didn't even know the whole brand before that(you can still get one with about £206).
    When I first saw it in some sale ad I looked it and it was fine looking dressy watch.
    Then I saw it was automatic...Sellita...sapphire...100m WR...hidden crown... and then I was sold.

I really hate watches with big crown, it's ridiculous to have a HUGE protruding crown IN AN AUTOMATIC WATCH!
    It has absolutely no purpose and it's the weakest point in a watch, stupid design if I may say.
    So now I know Rotary as I've read tons of articles about it, yes I even looked up their London office address because I'm going to London in a few weeks..

I'm not into brands that much as I like more watches that look nice yet they're functional.

13. Likes Seriously, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    hey you
    Hi, Mr Ismy