Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** quartz a battery change thoughts and how too's ****

**** quartz a battery change thoughts and how too's ****

Changing a quartz battery for the most part is pretty simple well most of us have probably done it at some point whether from the easy swatch /g10 the hatch back types to popping the back but my thought is if just a battery swap out do we all do it the same way, I am thinking here just normal analogue watches for the moment. ( can go on to others with the need to ac reset ) so for me I just pop or un-screw the back if necessary remove the spacer and pop the battery and swap in a matching one . ( but sometime's when I get them they have no battery in them so makes it hard to know the right one some say Seiko it can be easy to find, same with Casio but not always, I collect old used battery's one of each type I come across then when their is an empty battery slot I got a selection of battery's to try like Cinderellas slipper if you will till one seem to fit then I got an idea of the one I need )

When I was doing the thread for one of my Seiko vintage top ten. **** Top 10 Vintage affordable Seiko - part four **** I saw a post when checking some thing elsewhere saying that before changing a quartz battery the stem must always be pulled to the time setting mode before even opening the case ?? .

Now does this make any difference as I change a LOT of battery's and have never really done this and very rarely does it not work after a change ...

Can't say the say for some of the job lots I get take the last one I had a Seiko duo that had issues thou missing screw and battery clip parts so not counting that one or the rotary as the contact is missing so but as a rule even in most my job lot I just change the battery without touching the stem ...

How do you do it ?

Can you see a reason for the stem to be pulled first ??

Any thing you read giving advice on how to do it ??

As always Ismy
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jun 2, 2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: link issues :)
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post

Changing a quartz battery for the most part is pretty simple well most of us have probably done it at some point whether from the easy swatch /g10 the hatch back types to popping the back but my thought is if just a battery swap out do we all do it the same way, I am thinking here just normal analogue watches for the moment. ( can go on to others with the need to ac reset ) so for me I just pop or un-screw the back if necessary remove the spacer and pop the battery and swap in a matching one . ( but sometime's when I get them they have no battery in them so makes it hard to know the right one some say Seiko it can be easy to find, same with Casio but not always, I collect old used battery's one of each type I come across then when their is an empty battery slot I got a selection of battery's to try like Cinderellas slipper if you will till one seem to fit then I got an idea of the one I need )

When I was doing the thread for one of my Seiko vintage top ten. **** Top 10 Vintage affordable Seiko - part four ****
    I saw a post when checking some thing elsewhere saying that before changing a quartz battery the stem must always be pulled to the time setting mode before even opening the case ?? .

Now does this make any difference as I change a LOT of battery's and have never really done this and very rarely does it not work after a change ...

Can't say the say for some of the job lots I get take the last one I had a Seiko duo that had issues thou missing screw and battery clip parts so not counting that one or the rotary as the contact is missing so but as a rule even in most my job lot I just change the battery without touching the stem ...

How do you do it ?

Can you see a reason for the stem to be pulled first ??

Any thing you read giving advice on how to do it ??

As always Ismy

In time setting mode, the circuit is isolated protecting it from accidental damage.

3. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    yeah can see that with some so be good to pull it then I guess for hacking watches but for none hacking would it matter ? ..

but like the sound of that think will pull just to be on the safe side from now on ...

wonder if that could explain the 8123 I'm having issue with wonder if pulling the stem then loading the battery will do anything different ...

I know with Casio and the like you have to be careful on shorting it wrong got a lotus miyaota gp some thing I think that is having issue so tempted to try and short each setting to reboot it

but thats good to know as bet not a lot of people realise that ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

5. Likes Matt liked this post
    The exception is the waterproof square cased stuff from the seventies - because of the way the movement comes out they have to be fully in before removal or you have to strip them to get the keyless works back in the right position. As I've just been reminded by the one I got fro more for a score!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The exception is the waterproof square cased stuff from the seventies - because of the way the movement comes out they have to be fully in before removal or you have to strip them to get the keyless works back in the right position. As I've just been reminded by the one I got fro more for a score!
    yes the Seiko sq ones mentioned that in the link in my first post same when pulling the stem out for repairs clean and such if not put back in the right way you have to remove the plate then correct it ..seen a good thread/review somewhere when looking in to one of my sq to fix /explain it
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yes the Seiko sq ones mentioned that in the link in my first post same when pulling the stem out for repairs clean and such if not put back in the right way you have to remove the plate then correct it ..seen a good thread/review somewhere when looking in to one of my sq to fix /explain it
    Is this what is going on with the rectangular- case Casio I have? Looks like 1980’s. I popped out the old dead battery but I cannot seem to get the new one in. #351 battery. Battery seems to be too big to fit the space, but I know it’s the correct size.

**** quartz a battery change thoughts and how too's ****

As for Cinderella-fitting batteries to an empty opening - googling for the movement’s brand and caliber will usually get you the correct battery size number. Caliber is usually marked on the movement, where you can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Nerd View Post
    Is this what is going on with the rectangular- case Casio I have? Looks like 1980’s. I popped out the old dead battery but I cannot seem to get the new one in. #351 battery. Battery seems to be too big to fit the space, but I know it’s the correct size.
    try to remember as over a year old post and ant as young as I was

if you can show us a pic of casio open or full model code might be able to help what sort of rectangle case do you mean a casio duo ? thought they used 371 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Nerd View Post
    As for Cinderella-fitting batteries to an empty opening - googling for the movement’s brand and caliber will usually get you the correct battery size number. Caliber is usually marked on the movement, where you can see it.
    yes some times it's as simple as that but not all brands and movement are well marked some have none try find info on say a sekonda polaris (394 battery ) and other modern ish movements tend to be very sparse on info
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes Mystic Nerd liked this post
    Glad to have found this topic.

What do I push/pull/pry on here, to remove the brace that holds the battery, please?

Name:  signal-2021-05-12-174321.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  75.1 KB

you need a needle mate think did pics some where see the left slide of the battery catch if you look closely you see the space in the middle you can see a bit of metal that the catch so if you put the need in the gap and gentle lean the need side ways it will pop the catch loose
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy