Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Careful What You Wish For, Geoffbot - Here's The Rest Of My Collection

Blog Entries

Careful What You Wish For, Geoffbot - Here's The Rest Of My Collection

Started off innocently enough. I did a post showing my Omega watches. Geoffbot saw it and gave me a warm welcome to the forum and then said; "How about some more pics of your watches? Looks like a nice diverse collection."

Well, you asked for it, Gb. Clear your schedule, put the kettle on (or pour yourself a stiff one), take a seat, and start scrolling.

1) Wyler Incaflex, circa 1969

My Dad's watch. Seen here with his old razor (1st quarter, 1961 Gillette 'FatBoy' adjustable) , glasses (I tried them on a few years ago and felt dizzy. Now I need them if I wanna thread a needle), and Registration card from when he arrived in Australia in the 1950s. The watch has the name of the jewellery store printed on the dial. I'm told this was a fairly common practice back in the Fifties and Sixties.
    According to the watchmaker who restored this watch for me, it dates back to around 1969. It measures 33mm, which feels a tad small even on my 6.5 inch wrist. Must have looked positively miniscule on his. I don't really wear it very often. Usually on his birthday and the anniversary of his passing.
    But this watch is going nowhere, kids. I have strong recollections of watching him wind it at around 10:20pm every night while a cup of coffee sat steaming on the kitchen table. He would slip the watch on (it was on an expanding Speidel-style bracelet), drink his coffee, and then head out to catch the 11:05 to Brunswick where he worked as a machinist at Peerless Mills.
    Like I said, this watch is going nowhere.

2) Sinn 103 St Sa Chronograph, 2009

This was a grail piece. Originally, I had wanted a 156 Military, with the Lemania 5100 under the bonnet, but these had just been phased out and I found myself looking at the 103 more and more. Spent about four or five years thinking about this watch until finally, they became available in Australia and I was able to try one on. Love the look of this watch, and its features put some much more expensive similar chronos to shame. If I wear it on a (fake) alligator strap, it begins to remind me of the fantastic Breguet Type XX, if I leave it on its steel bracelet, I feel like a German anti-terrorist, circa 1978. To keep it ausgesprochen (real), I got it with the German day wheel. Took a little getting used to. By the way, today is Dienstag!
    Oh yeah, Keef used that guuitar plectrum. True dat.

3) Tudor hand-wound, circa 1963(?)

My wife found this watch in an Op Shop (thrift store) for fifty bucks! Mind you, it was in dreadful condition. Crystal scratched to hell, crown tube threading stripped, and most of the case-back was caked in a dark brown plaster (man, I HOPE it was plaster!). Got it restored and was thrilled to find that the dial was in pristine condition. Hour hand has some discolouration due to water entry, but this thing is otherwise pretty nice. Whenever I put it on, I feel like George Smiley, working for The Circus. It's got a real 'leather briefcase, tortoise-shell spectacles, and grey raincoat' vibe.

4) Tudor Prince OysterDate, circa 1974

The eBay seller didn't tell me this was a re-dial. No real big deal, since it was cheap enough. I got ahold of a blue linen dial and took it to a watchmaker to get it swapped over. Whole process became a nightmare because the dial feet on the blue one were in a slightly different position to the original. Watchmaker managed to sort that out, but lost the original rotor in the process. I finally tracked down a genuine Tudor rotor for this ETA calibre-powered watch and I''ll get it installed at some point. Another snag is that there's a slight gap visible to the right of the date wheel and you can see the crown stem. Not sure if a generic date wheel off ebay will solve this. I'd really rather not think about it all, to be honest.

5) Tissot Visodate Heritage Automatic, 2010

"Mad Men" brought about a huge mania for all things mid-Century, although, there was already a large following for Eisenhower-Chic going around just before then. Tissot knocked it out of the park with this watch, managing to rework a design from it's archives of 1957. I knew nothing about this watch until a customer told me about it. A near-perfect design, marred only (IMHO) by its 40mm size (two mil less would have been great, three or four mil less would have been phenomenal), and the modern inclusion of a day wheel. In saying that, however, this watch has so many positives going for it that it's hard to argue with it. looks like a much more expensive watch than it is. Might have to look into the new Milanese/Milanais bracelet to change it up a little.

6) Lanco hand-wound, circa 1955-1962

I wanted something vintage with a sub-seconds dial. And it had to be cheap. This watch fit the bill. Unmarked dial, large 38mm in diameter (shame) and so old-school that it's not funny. Whenever I wear it, I feel like a pre-Castro tobacco plantation owner.

7) TAG Heuer Formula 1, 2008(I think?)

This is the gateway brand. I have seen many a customer come into my store to buy a TAG Heuer only to return a year or so later to buy another TAG or other watch in some other brand. This brand takes ordinary, decent, hardworking men and turns them into watch nuts (I don't use the term 'WIS'). Say what you will about TAG Heuer, but this brand almost keeps the entire industry supplied with new customers. And it makes some very nice watches too.
    I thought it would be good to have one quartz watch in the collection to use as a beater and to help set the time on my mechanical watches. Problem is, this watch is too nice to use as a beater. So I wear it to the gym sometimes instead. Which would explain its near-new condition. It's a good travel watch. Just set-and-forget.

8) Seiko SKX 031, 2002

Speaking of beaters, this is the watch that I got for all the handyman jobs, gardening, and any other 'potential-for-damage' occasions and tasks. I met one customer who told me that he wears his two-tone Submariner for diving. Yes, yes, I know that they're meant to be worn, but that's just asking for trouble.

9) Seiko 7002, circa 1993, purchased 2009

I got this watch off eBay for $40. Then I spent about another $150 to get it looking like that. Then I realised that I'd Tommy Hilfigered the living hell out of it and decided to scale things back a little, so firstly, off came that strap. Might make a collar for my cat out of it. Although, I doubt even she would wear it.
    Then, I had the blue dial removed (because no strap will match that colour) and put the black dial back on, but left the orange chapter ring. And I only got a steel Seiko bracelet for it about six months ago, so now I'd like to have the blue dial re-installed.
    Mother warned me this would happen.
    So now, it looks like this;

Great watch for bike riding.

...Holy cow, I can't upload this post because it's over 10,000 characters long! I still have another five watches to go.
    Ahh well, Geoff, if you aren't sick to death of watches by now, let me know and I'll do the rest of them in another post.

Cheers, all.
    Last edited by Teeritz; Nov 18, 2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Clarity.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

More more more!
    Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time - JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day - Orient Pro Saturation Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Doboji View Post
    More more more!
    +1!

Yeap, some more please.

OTT: and that razor, the Gillette FatBoy, I still use - what seems to be - that exact same model you've posted; every day. Ok, now feel free to call me...crazy?!
    Last edited by CFR; Nov 18, 2014 at 05:47 PM.

What great use of props and color for your pictures. Really nice collection. I would take that Tudor Prince in a heartbeat....
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Yeap, some more please.

OTT: and that razor, the Gillette FatBoy, I still use - what seems to be - that exact same model you've posted; every day. Ok, now feel free to call me...crazy?!
    You aren't crazy. I alternate between this and my Dad's other Gillette razor, which is a simpler design. Never understood this modern "five blades give you the closest shave" marketing crap.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)

Blog Entries
    Okay, I've just dropped the kids off at school and I figure I've got about an hour or so before I have to get ready for my own classes. Now, where was I? Right, watch number 10;

10) Seiko Scuba Titan Air Diver, 2007

If a character in a Japanese manga wore an analogue wristwatch, it would look like this. I really like this watch, but it rarely gets worn because I tend to wear one of my Omega divers instead. Tricky situation, that. Still, it's a sharp looking watch.

11) Hamilton Khaki Officer's Mechanical, 2010

I wanted something with the rock-solid Unitas 6497 calibre in it. I wanted something that would look ridiculous on my wrist. The kind of watch that would make me look like an action figure (batteries sold separately!!). Enter the 44mm Hamilton Khaki Officer's. My wrist doesn't stand a chance whenever I put this on. I decided quite a few years ago that my preferred watch sizes are anywhere from 35mm (for dress watches) to 42mm (for sports watches) and the only watch above that size that I would consider would be a 44mm Panerai Luminor Marina. Since I got this Hammy, my urge for the Panny has dwindled somewhat. Which is great for my bank balance.
    Here's a pic from my review. You can clearly see it killing my wrist;

12) Longines Expeditions Polaires Francaises Paul-Emile Victor, 2012

Such a long name for this watch! Longines also dipped into their history to bring out this re-edition. Such a nice and simple design for those days when all you need is time and date. Thirty-eight mil in diameter, with a very low profile. Very comfy on this tropical strap, but I think I'll switch back to black or brown leather with white stitch at some point.

13) Trident Discovery, 2011

Piece of junk. Absolute piece of junk. When I saw this watch on eBay, I should have just kept walking. Here's the short version- I have wanted a Rolex Submariner 5513 since I was around nine years old. I'll be 49 in January. I almost bought a MKII Kingston a few years ago, but didn't have the bucks for it when their plank offer was made. And so, I saw this thing on eBay and got all excited. I shouldn't have bothered. Flimsy crown stem, very domed mineral crystal, probably not water-resistant. It does have an ETA calibre inside it, so I might gut it and have a sterile Sub put together as a beater...but I already have a few beaters.

14) Oris Miles Tonneau, 2003

Doesn't get worn all that often, but this piece has such nice attention to detail. Every now and then, it'll get some use and I'll end up putting it away for my son to wear when he's a little older.

15) Oris Modern Classic, 2006

This one is a nice 37mm in diameter and its steel and rose gold plating make a pleasant mix. But I find that I don't wear it very much. Whenever I think of putting it on, the lure of one of my vintage pieces is stronger. My daughter likes the look of it, so it shall be hers when she's a bit older.

16) Camy Club-Star, 2011

This one was a gift from Jake, who was active on another forum. He was looking to clear out some pieces and he knew I have a thing for vintage. Thanks again, Jake! Hope you're well.
    I thought I'd give this one a slightly preppier look with the striped NATO. Gee, looking at it now, I think I may just wear it today. Judging by the hands, I'd say this watch is from anywhere between 1972 to 1978. The modest 35mm diameter would have me believe it's even earlier than that, but I'm no expert on this brand. I recall seeing quite a few of them in suburban jewellery stores back in the '70s.

And there you have it. That's everything I have. Oh, wait a sec, there's a G-Shock something or other and also a G-Shock Mudman.
    And there's this;

It's a no-name pocket watch that, according to my watchmaker, dates back to around 1914. I think it needs a little work, and I may take it around to a suburban clock and watch repairer nearby.

I'll admit that I tend to wear certain watches for certain moods. John Mayer once said in an interview that he has a watch roll holding six watches that he takes with him when he's touring. When he opens it up in the morning, he asks himself; "Who do I want to be today?"
    That made perfect sense to me. If I put on my '62 Seamaster, I get all Don Draperish, if I put on my Sinn 103, I think I'm Jason Bourne (yeah, yeah, he wore a TAG Heuer Link quartz chrono in the movie, but a Sinn chrono has a real 'European spy thriller' feel to it) and if I wear my 44mm Hamilton, I feel like a wartime pilot on 48 hr's leave.
    My tastes run towards the more traditional designs. You'll never see a Hublot or Linde Werdlin on my wrist.

My collection, you may have gathered, got a little out of hand over the years. You may have noticed the lack of Rolex pieces. That's through lack of discipline. I've wanted a Submariner 5513 forever, but I kept getting side-tracked by other purchases whenever I'd start saving for one. And, of course, their prices have climbed steadily over the years. However, I'm very close to getting one and I'll tell the whole convoluted story on my blog one day.
    One day.

Thanks for reading! And thanks for the kind comments.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)

Fantastic thread and watches... Really a great read, thank you for sharing.
    Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time - JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day - Orient Pro Saturation Diver

Thanks for this, excellent read! There's not a watch in the bunch that I wouldn't treasure (except the Trident, I guess).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Thanks for this, excellent read! There's not a watch in the bunch that I wouldn't treasure (except the Trident, I guess).
    Ah yes, the Trident. Moral of that story is 'save for what you really want and don't settle for (much, much, much, much!) less'. I'm saying that to remind myself not to make a similar mistake again. Patience and discipline have their rewards, after all.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)