Likes Likes:  65
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The watch strap dilemma

The watch strap dilemma

.....Makes my head throb sometimes.....

Choosing a new strap for a watch

Colereb, JPM, Calf leather, Buffalo , Croc, Lizard blah blah BLAH !!

I want a 20mm strap in this case, for a dress style watch: the new Vulcain anthracite/grey dial ... 20mm tapering down to 18mm

Not sure I want to spend more than £50, but I have before spent about £100 when I've had to.

I've bought Nivrel straps before now which have been v.good, might go again for this option as it's 'a known'

What do you guys do ?? - trial and error ?
    Or are there some unwritten 'rules' for these things.?

I just want a nice strap

Let's discuss an often un-discussed topic.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

I don't have enough experience with this outside of metal bracelets and NATO, however, Richard/Cybotron has quite a bit of knowledge on this subject.
    Last edited by wschofield3; Jun 10, 2019 at 08:34 PM.

3. Likes Seriously liked this post
    First, what’s wrong with the one it came on?

It’s not really visible in your photos.

5. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    First, what’s wrong with the one it came on?

It’s not really visible in your photos.
    I'll do a pic or two tomorrow, it's the (embossed/signed) original obviously , crocodile ... but I find it a little on the thin side.... just a smidge.

I do have the deploya....deploym..... the quick release buckle now ... which is 18mm

I just think croc is a bit thin and artificial looking (although it's genuine), maybe they ran out of budget after making the watch...

Maybe I just don't love it.

I've had a few watches where I don't quite like the supplied strap , haven't you ?
    Last edited by Seriously; Jun 10, 2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

I can see how it would be a problem. Ive never liked any leather strap that was supplied with a watch and the choices available would make my head throb too if I were trying to pick one. I would have to try them before being satisfied and that could get very expensive.

Having said that, I've never really worn any dressy style strap and am quite satisfied with the iyonk straps I have to swap between the mostly field watches I have.

I do feel your pain though and hope you find an acceptable strap.

8. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Well, first we need to formalise your criteria:
    - 20/18mm
    - nice

AND YOU DARE TO POSE IT AS A PROBLEM?!

10. Likes Seriously liked this post
    It's the elephant in the watch room...

I'm trying to work out how some watch manufacturers get it right and some don't.

- 20/18mm
    - nice
    summed up
    Watches for SALE:

12. Likes rodia77 liked this post
    From personal experience I would suggest a Kuki with Kuki flex. Very comfortable.

https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...-20mm-bla.html
    There's nothing important to read here.

14. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I've had a few watches where I don't quite like the supplied strap , haven't you ?

Not that many, actually - but yes, a few.

Manufacturers generally get the style right, but quality and/or comfort can be lacking.

I would go for something similar to the original but better, and I’d be cautious about increasing the width by too much.

Ideally, I’d look at genuine large scale alligator, but even a Hirsch London is over £200. Small scale alligator (Hirsch Regent) is cheaper at around £90, but doesn’t look as good, in my opinion. A Hirsch Duke is good value at around £30, but is alligator large scale embossed, rather than real.

There are other manufacturers, of course, but Hirsch is a good benchmark. Their better straps will be made in Austria, their lesser straps won’t be.

16. Likes Seriously liked this post
    I'd go with a nice genuine alligator strap. Hirsch and Hadley Roma are good options. If your willing to spend a bit more then custom will be the best option. A good strap maker can make the perfect strap for you according to your specs and liking. It's what I usually do since I find most OEM straps inferior.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cybotron; Jun 11, 2019 at 01:22 AM.
    Cheers,

Richard

18. Likes Seriously liked this post