Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: CNN Interview with Michael Kobold about Nepal

  1. #1

    CNN Interview with Michael Kobold about Nepal

    Interesting interview on CNN this morning with Michael Kobold, the founder of Kobold watches. Apparently, he and his wife have twice climbed Mount Everest--the second time, his wife nearly died. She had stopped breathing, and one of their two Sherpa guides (who made both climbs with them) went and got adrenalin, etc., and revived her.

    He said that after the second climb, he invested several hundred thousand dollars and set up a watchmaking company for the two Sherpas, in Nepal. Unfortunately, he said their factory has been wiped out by the earthquake. He has heard from one of the two that he is OK, and is waiting to hear from the other, who was apparently on the mountain.

    It was quite a story. Plus now you know the founder of a "tough" brand walks the talk...

  2. Likes gnuyork liked this post
  3. #2
    That's ironic, given Raza's mention of Kobold elsewhere earlier. Or was it what prompted it?
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

  4. #3
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    19,345
    Blog Entries
    5
    Weird. They just popped into my head yesterday for no reason.

    I must have superpowers. Call me Vague-idea-of-something-mentioned-elsewhere Man!

  5. Likes whatmeworry, gnuyork liked this post
  6. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Weird. They just popped into my head yesterday for no reason.

    I must have superpowers. Call me Vague-idea-of-something-mentioned-elsewhere Man!
    Actually, maybe the recent tragic news from Nepal subconsciously reminded you of the brand.
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

  7. #5
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    19,345
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Actually, maybe the recent tragic news from Nepal subconsciously reminded you of the brand.
    Possible. Or maybe it's that Netflix recently suggested the new Hawaii 5-0 (blech), where the main character wears a Kobold.

  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Possible. Or maybe it's that Netflix recently suggested the new Hawaii 5-0 (blech), where the main character wears a Kobold.
    That was an insanely bad show.
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

  9. #7
    The Dude Abides Nokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,516
    I remember Raza's comment about them from yesterday.

    Pretty coincidental....
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

  10. #8
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    19,345
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    That was an insanely bad show.
    First season was kind of nice in a turn-your-brain-off kind of way, but it got really, really bad, really, really fast.

  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    First season was kind of nice in a turn-your-brain-off kind of way, but it got really, really bad, really, really fast.
    I think I watched the first couple and thought "this is like a low budget direct to video action movie from the early 90s".
    Then I thought "actually I should just watch a low budget direct to video action movie from the early 90s instead"
    Apeks | Archimede | Breitling | Bulova | Cabot Watch Company | Casio | Daniel Wellington | Davosa | Glycine | G-Shock | Hamilton | Nomos | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Slow | Swatch | Timex | Vostok

  12. #10
    Super Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    19,345
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I think I watched the first couple and thought "this is like a low budget direct to video action movie from the early 90s".
    Then I thought "actually I should just watch a low budget direct to video action movie from the early 90s instead"
    Haha. I liked a few of the actors, which is probably why I gave it a little bit more leeway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us