Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another watch strap opinion question

Another watch strap opinion question

In general do you think and do you try to have the strap color match the watch dial or watch bezel color? Everyone loves a rich brown croc strap which would nearly never match a dial so I realize there are exceptions.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Match as in ‘same as’? Never. That would mean having silver and white straps.

G-Shocks apart, I don’t think I’ve ever varied from black or brown, and which I choose depends more on style than colour.

I also mostly use brown shades, and sometime black... only prefer stitches accent to match the watch theme, like some red or blue stitches to make it relate to the watch...

i find it very2 hard and mostly fail to match some dial color since the are so many shades of blue, green and so on... blue dial and blue strap that is different shade usually look off together.. (IMO)
    I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

4. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    Tell me about it

I was gonna (maybe still am) try a grey strap with my grey/anthracite dialled vulcain ...... but I'm about it right now.

Brown or Black are my usual go-to , and like you say brown almost never matches a dial .....so .....
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

‘Complementary’ should be the key word.

7. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I see it pretty simply:

Black only with black, unless it's a casual/sport/dive watch, then also with brown.
    Gray/white/silver with black or brown.
    Any other color with brown.

Straps other than brown or black have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

My general rule is if the strap picks up on a dial detail and the rest of the dial is largely neutral, it'll probably work. Take my Monaco:

Blue stripe on the white dial, blue alligator strap. Works perfectly.

For other types of dial colors, like yellow and red, I have no idea what to do. They're so bright and casual, I think just anything goes as long as the colors don't directly clash.

I guess it's not that simple.
    Last edited by Raza; Jun 15, 2019 at 03:27 PM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Take my Monaco:

Well, since you're offering.... I'll PM you with my address. Thank you!

Yeah.... anyway, my preference is to echo little bits of color using contrasting stitches on a strap, but not full on color-attack. Shades of gray on a watch can lean in either brownish directions (like some Titanium shades for example), or to a black strap preference (like the colder gray of meteorite or graphite); dark oxblood brown leather straps can look great with black dials if I want to add some warmth; gray and light-brown straps can work with light dials but often seem less flexible than darker shades of strap... so it's a bit complicated and usually involves a case-by-case basis. I think strap-matching is one of the joys of playing with my watches to give a new look, and helps calm the temptations to go out and buy another watch.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

10. Likes Raza, iyonk liked this post
    Strap matching is fun. To me a strap can match the dial or the little details surrounding the dial. My trick is using photoshop and trying out different combos to see what works.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Richard

12. Likes skywatch, wschofield3, geoffbot, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I see it pretty simply:

Black only with black, unless it's a casual/sport/dive watch, then also with brown.
    Gray/white/silver with black or brown.
    Any other color with brown.

Straps other than brown or black have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

My general rule is if the strap picks up on a dial detail and the rest of the dial is largely neutral, it'll probably work. Take my Monaco:

Blue stripe on the white dial, blue alligator strap. Works perfectly.

For other types of dial colors, like yellow and red, I have no idea what to do. They're so bright and casual, I think just anything goes as long as the colors don't directly clash.

I guess it's not that simple.

Suddenly the shoes don’t get a look-in
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Depends on the watch.
    Black is a place holder to me , gets swapped.
    Mesh works well on many imo , but not all.
    Brown, well , yes, there are loads of shades, textures to choose. Same goes for red(ish) for silver/white dials to bring to life imo.

15. Likes iyonk liked this post