Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The puny wrist problem...solved

The puny wrist problem...solved

Name:  BraceletsAdjusted.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  71.9 KB

Necessary because of an impending 2-week trip. Will this enEbel me to make it until I get home?

Name:  TravelRoll.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  49.0 KB

Personally, I know who to blame for this (and so does everyone else!)
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

2. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Yeah, that Rory and his Ebels.

Rick "shameful" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

4. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Enjoy your trip but don't blame me for the Ebel fetish even though I share it. I recognize the chronosport white dial but what are the blue dial Ebel and the other watch (on the right)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    Enjoy your trip but don't blame me for the Ebel fetish even though I share it. I recognize the chronosport white dial but what are the blue dial Ebel and the other watch (on the right)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like a Le Modulor.

Rick "who doesn't have one" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    The "blue" dial is a cal. 137 Le Modulor. It looks black to my eye, but photographs blue. Go figure. The one on the right is a Zenith (connect the dots). It's a 126-6 from 1956. 15j, 36.3mm. It's on the roll for a "Gala" event where even an Ebel chronograph might not be "dressy" enough.

Don't believe Rick - *you* are not my prime enEbeler.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Looks like a Le Modulor.

Rick "who doesn't have one" Denney
    color me shocked!

Nice trio. I'd be happy to have those, vacation or not. I assume an additional watch will be on your wrist?

Those are too nice to take anywhere. I would wear a G-Shock and enjoy them when I got back.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

More likely in my pocket. My usual "traveling across time zones" pocketwatch is a WWII vintage Hamilton G.C.T. 24hour navigator's watch. That way, I don't have to reset it.
    My every day watch is always a pocketwatch. I cycle weekly through a collection that dates from 1869 to 1968 (the year of the death of the last great American made RR grade pocketwatch). Wristwatches are for two very different kinds of event: social occasions (usually at night, but some daytime meetings) and knocking around the house.

The two Ebels pictured are perfect for attracting attention from looky-loos and WIS alike. The Zenith (126-6, vintage 1956) is for dressier evening occasions when the goal is to impress without appearing to be trying to impress. Second level thinking, and all that. Nice looking, comes with a nice history, but is less pushy and more restrained.

Plus, this trip is a great opportunity to test drive the Ebels now that the bracelets fit my puny wrist (hence, the thread title). I had to learn at least one new fun fact to successfully re-size them (so, now I know everything!). Extra added observation - it intrigues me how different the two Ebels feel on my wrist. Both bracelets are the same length, with the same number of links on each side, and very similar deployments - but the cal. 137 (the "blue" face Le Modulor - looks black to me but photographs blue) is just a bit bigger than the cal. 134 (the "Sonny Crockett, Jr. model"). Both are comfortable - but I can feel that very slight difference in size. Perhaps it's time to tweak whatever micro-adjustment is available. OK...digging out the tool kit... [note to self: micro-adjustment only...do not mess with the links until after the 2 week test drive]

12. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    Those are too nice to take anywhere. I would wear a G-Shock and enjoy them when I got back.
    I would never buy a watch I could not wear (or travel with).

I have a thing for "4C 992B" Hamilton pocketwatches - there are at least 10 in my collection. But, recently an absolute jewel came up for sale - the earliest known serial number for this type, with full documentation, in a beautiful display box, in "never worn" condition. At a price that was well within my comfort zone.

Pass. There's no way I could "enjoy it at home", so I let it go to someone who will put it on their desk as a display piece, and maintain it in pristine condition, forever. Or, worse, put it in a safe.

I have one piece of bling (an 18k solid gold full-hunter ladies sized pocketwatch) that I can only remotely consider ever wearing (it would be too girly). When I bought that one it was more with the idea of giving it to someone on a very special occasion. But, that's the exception that proves the rule.

These two Ebels? Very nice - but I bought them to WEAR, not to admire.

G-Shock? While they seem perfectly OK for those who wear them...I'm just not in their demographic. I prefer watches that proved their robustness by putting in 100 years on the railroad. And, when push comes to shove, in that arena I prefer the smaller specimens (16s) rather than the "turnips" (18s). The 18s are a tight fit in the 5th pocket of 501 Levi's.

Under the right conditions, I might wear a G-Shock with a tux. Perhaps if I'm ever invited to play duets with Chuck Dallenbach. (Rick! get up off the floor!)