Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to hang with poorer homeless people..

I need to hang with poorer homeless people..

I pass the same 'homeless' man several times a week, have for over a year. Old guy, cane, moves pretty bad, about 6 teeth, filthy T-shirt, - you know the type. Generally give him 5 bucks (unless all I have is some ones and bills over a 5- then he just gets some ones) we usually exchange a few pleasantries until the light changes so we kinda know each other. I like to think I'm actually helping him, though I'm probably only supporting the Colt 45 folks.

Anyway, this morning I pulled off the freeway, cool light rain falling and I see my buddy up ahead wearing a soaked red windbreaker with hoodie - dripping wet and obviously cold. I slow down (to catch the red light) stop and hit the "Down" button for the window while reaching for my wallet. I'm surprised when I look up and see an old woman inside the hoodie - "I need dolla to get somtin' t;eat" she says. I already have my wallet open and am pulling out a fiver - "Oh - God bless you! Thank you, thank you thank you!" she exclaims.......................................... ..............................until she takes a second look at the bill in her grubby little homeless hand. "Oh, I thought you was given me a fifty" she said, then she turned and hobbled off on her two arthritic old legs and cane to the car behind me.

It's sobering to reflect that your money is beneath the people mooching on the street. I just hope my penurious manner haven't cost the old guy his franchise on the corner.

"The sure way to miss success is to miss the opportunity"

Victor Chasles
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I stopped giving money directly to them.
    One night while I was parked up, I saw someone I used to give to walking towards me. He was clean, dressed well and walking normally.
    He ducked into a small alley and 10 minutes later emerged dressed as a hobo. Dirty ripped jeans and jacket. Dirt smeared face.
    Couldn't believe my eyes.
    Later, when he aporoached, limping, to "beg" I told him he'd better go check no one had stolen his normal clothes in the alley. The look on his face was one of rage at first then of pure "don't give a crap".
    Now I only give direct to well known charities.

Blog Entries
    In general I'm against direct charity as it only maintains the recipient in a state of dependence on others. Far better to enable the person to support themselves, either through employment, training of some sort, vocational guidance, etc. However, since American society has largely failed to meaningfully provide the latter, sometimes one is compelled to offer direct assistance.

There's a guy who comes round my gaff every couple of months now since I once gave him a twenty. He claims to have cancer of some sort for which he is in treatment on the public dime. The chemo knocks him on his ass and because he's unable to work he needs $$$ for food, shelter, etc. Since both my parents died of cancer I'm well familiar with the effects of chemo, and I have to say he doesn't look like he's got the 5-FU blues. In an odd way I kind of like the guy, and over the last year or so I've given him maybe a hundred bucks in tens and twenties. It would annoy me if I found out he'd been taking me for a ride, and I acknowledge that it's a possibility. Nonetheless, if he is in genuine need I'm okay with donating some bucks every now and again. I'd really like to steer him towards some means of self-support, and if I can think of an appropriate way to do it I'll offer that instead of money the next time he comes round.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

bighead
    Around the Pasadena area, the signs read, "I'm not hungry . I want $ for booze." I've stopped giving a long time ago.

My motivation in giving is just that - to share my blessings.
    seiko · orient · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · suunto · steinhart

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/

7. Likes uchinanchu, Jeff_C liked this post
    To be fair there's about a 33% chance she was crazy...to be doubly fair, many employed, housed and clothed people behave in the same manner.

Quote Originally Posted by ro63rto View Post
    I stopped giving money directly to them.
    One night while I was parked up, I saw someone I used to give to walking towards me. He was clean, dressed well and walking normally.
    He ducked into a small alley and 10 minutes later emerged dressed as a hobo. Dirty ripped jeans and jacket. Dirt smeared face.
    Couldn't believe my eyes.
    Later, when he aporoached, limping, to "beg" I told him he'd better go check no one had stolen his normal clothes in the alley. The look on his face was one of rage at first then of pure "don't give a crap".
    Now I only give direct to well known charities.
    When I used to work downtown there was a guy like that daily. Would see him on the corner begging and/or trying to 'sell' free newspapers for whatever cash people would give him.

One day I saw him walking back to a parkade, get changed and throw his dirty clothes into a duffle and toss it in the back seat of his 50k quad cab pick up truck. And this was a dozen or so years ago so 50k was really top of the line.

I never confronted or embarrased him about it about it but wouldn't chat or stop when I walked by, and certainly wouldn't give him any of my money.

There was a YouTube video a while back about some 'homeless' guy just like that and after the camera crew following him around for a while he got into his Mercedes and drove back to his really big house. It was somewhere in the UK if I recall. Turned out the guy was loaded from doing this.

Been a long time now since any one of them has got any money from me. Which is a shame because there really are people that could use a few bucks for a bite to eat or pair of socks. Ultimately though I'd rather offer a hand up than a hand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post

There was a YouTube video a while back about some 'homeless' guy just like that and after the camera crew following him around for a while he got into his Mercedes and drove back to his really big house. It was somewhere in the UK if I recall. Turned out the guy was loaded from doing this.
    Yeah, saw that program on tv.
    He was pulling in over £100 a day, tax free of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bajachild View Post
    Around the Pasadena area, the signs read, "I'm not hungry . I want $ for booze.".
    WAIT!!!
    Does this work?!? Does it require a degree or just OTJ training?