Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So it finally happened--I dropped a watch

Blog Entries

So it finally happened--I dropped a watch

I took out my Ranger, was looking for something else, and I just lost my grip some how. The watch fell from chest height on to, luckily, some clothes I had left on the floor, so there was no direct contact with the floor, but it wasn't like a big fluffy pillow. You could still hear a dull thud from the impact. The watch was stopped at the time and the crown screwed down.

I inspected the case, there are no dings or scratches, and it wound up as usual. I set the time and tracked it over the last hour, it hasn't deviated at all.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for to see if I've caused an issue?
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Forgive my ranger ignorance - Auto or hand wind ?

Handwind you should be fine, if it was auto the first casualty would be the rotor.

and I just lost my grip some how.
    Too much information

But it had a soft landing ..... you've avoided the damaging g-forces
    Last edited by Seriously; Jun 24, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

If it loses an hour in 10 mins get it looked into, otherwise, crack on! Bad choice of word...
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    If it loses an hour in 10 mins
    errrrr
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    errrrr
    Ha! Good point.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Sooner or later, everyone manages to drop a watch - it's impossible to avoid. Trust me: been there, done that.

Other than checking the accuracy and power reserve, there's nothing else you can do, unless you take the watch to any half decent watchmaker and ask him to put the watch on a timegrapher. That's the only non intrusive way you have, to know if everything is ok. Pay special attention to the beat error measurement. Hopefully there won't be any cause for concern.
    Last edited by CFR; Jun 24, 2019 at 08:48 PM.

8. Likes Seriously, Cybotron, iyonk liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Forgive my ranger ignorance - Auto or hand wind ?

Handwind you should be fine, if it was auto the first casualty would be the rotor.

Too much information

But it had a soft landing ..... you've avoided the damaging g-forces
    Automatic. ETA 2824

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Automatic. ETA 2824
    As mentioned, it depends on the g-forces attained - and yours had a soft landing - which will have seriously reduced those.

It also depends on a complicated mix of angle of impact and where the rotor was at that point in time.

I dropped a Porsche design mechanical Chrono when in my twenties (it was gifted to me secondhand) but still I was mortified - I think the strap gave way so I had no chance of saving it - rotor weight got shifted on the bearing and it was very poorly - I didn’t fix it or have it fixed being a poor student at the time.
    Watches for SALE:

Blog Entries
    I think if the timing is still good and the rotor moves freely, you dodged a bullet..
    Drops, doorknobs, concrete walls, I have done them all.
    That's why I can't have nice things.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

12. Likes Raza, iyonk, synequano liked this post
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned, it depends on the g-forces attained - and yours had a soft landing - which will have seriously reduced those.

It also depends on a complicated mix of angle of impact and where the rotor was at that point in time.

I dropped a Porsche design mechanical Chrono when in my twenties (it was gifted to me secondhand) but still I was mortified - I think the strap gave way so I had no chance of saving it - rotor weight got shifted on the bearing and it was very poorly - I didn’t fix it or have it fixed being a poor student at the time.
    I think everything sounds and looks normal. I thought I heard something rattling, but it was just the tongue on the buckle being loose. It should be fully wound, I'll take it off and check periodically the accuracy and the see when it winds down (should be about 38 hours or so).

If it has to be serviced, luckily it was my watch with the most basic and commonplace movement, right?