Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So it finally happened--I dropped a watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

That was the day after I met you, I guess.

What a pleasure it was to meet you over a cold beer in the beautiful square of Krakow. I hope to return there someday. In August I plan to go to Gdansk for an all-nighter. (The concert went fine, by the way, once I threw away the faulty power strip. None the worse for wear. It really was quite a surprise to see the whole hall turn dark from one little plug.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Does the Ranger has the same movement as the original Black Bay?

Because if it does, this particular Tudor 2824-2 has the shock system changed from Incabloc to Kif and the Etachron system is removed, in favour of a more 'traditional' stud on the balance spring and the usual regulator pins.

Not exactly your most common ETA2824-2, but that shouldn't be a problem for any decent watchmaker.

I have no idea. All the Tudor site says is "Self-winding mechanical movement, Calibre 2824". I mean, I know they spelled "caliber" wrong, but everything else seems accurate, if not all that informative.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I have no idea. All the Tudor site says is "Self-winding mechanical movement, Calibre 2824". I mean, I know they spelled "caliber" wrong, but everything else seems accurate, if not all that informative.
    That's just the Brit spelling, like "theatre" vs theater. They added an extra syllable to "aluminum" as well in aluminium.

I think you're good this time, averted a tragic fall.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    That's just the Brit spelling, like "theatre" vs theater. They added an extra syllable to "aluminum" as well in aluminium.
    I know, I was just being facetious. Although, I think technically they're going with the French spelling being Swiss and all.

I think you're good this time, averted a tragic fall.
    I certainly hope so.

5. Likes wschofield3, JAGtime, synequano liked this post
    It's not a good feeling watching your timepiece fall to the ground. Glad it had a somewhat soft landing.

luckily it was my watch with the most basic and commonplace movement, right?
    I thought that when you bought it , but didn't wanna say anything

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Actually, it is all about the weight. Not having weighed any of these, I could be speaking out of the side of my mouth.

Whether it is gold, platinum, or nickle plated brass, the pivot rests against a surface that at its weakest, is a synthetic jewel, or much stronger. So it is not the rotor or this bearing that will deform under impact. What can deform is the arbor or actual pivot attached to the movement. I have seen that happen with a vintage Omege automatic. Then the rotor will rub against either the case or the movement body. I replaced the one on the Omega and it runs fine.
    The rotor is ultimately running in a ball bearing, not jewels, but the rotor weight is pressed into that bearing - a bit like how a nutsert is pressed into a chassis plate. The bearing will take the forces, the pressed fit of the rotor into that bearing will be the first casualty, it will shift, if it's gold it's obviously softer metal so there's a chance the rotor itself will deform before moving in the pressed fit area.

Name:  DSC01955__64425.1469243422.1000.1200.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  80.6 KB

Yellow arrow is the pressed fit area, Red arrow is the ball bearing.

The pivot on the other hand is running in jewels and depending on the level of protection fitted is safe enough.

It is all about the mass, but also on the strength of the bearing/jewel in relation to that mass.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

8. Likes CFR liked this post
    I took out my Ranger, was looking for something else, and I just lost my grip some how. The watch fell from chest height on to, luckily, some clothes I had left on the floor, so there was no direct contact with the floor, but it wasn't like a big fluffy pillow. You could still hear a dull thud from the impact. The watch was stopped at the time and the crown screwed down.

I inspected the case, there are no dings or scratches, and it wound up as usual. I set the time and tracked it over the last hour, it hasn't deviated at all.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for to see if I've caused an issue?
    I guess it's a good thing you are somewhat messy.

It should be fine. No need to worry until it's time to worry.

Blog Entries
    So, looks like it's -9 or -10 since I set it yesterday afternoon. Not ideal, but that's within spec for the movement (+/- 12). The Ranger was never my best timekeeper.

I suppose I could always have a watchmaker open it up, check it out, and regulate it for me.

So, looks like it's -9 or -10 since I set it yesterday afternoon. Not ideal, but that's within spec for the movement (+/- 12). The Ranger was never my best timekeeper.

I suppose I could always have a watchmaker open it up, check it out, and regulate it for me.
    Do you know if it was running that slow before? If it was, then probably no need to do anything. It it wasn’t, you might want to get it looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ve Ruined it
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869