Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It seems this is getting worse

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

I got fooled once by a fake Tudor Pelagos I purchased from the forums (I thought I was buying a real one) a couple of years ago. Looked real, even the movement, though I didn't have another to compare it to.

I had sent it off to Rolex as soon as I got it as it was my first real High End (to me) purchase, and they called back saying it was not authentic. I got my money back, but man they are pretty good now. It turns out the guy I bought it from who had great feedback, bought it from eBay

Blog Entries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upAJE_XhT2Y&t=10s

Full video for reference.

I won't buy a secondhand Rolex unless it's from an AD. It was already hard enough, now it's ridiculous.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by litlmn View Post
    I got fooled once by a fake Tudor Pelagos I purchased from the forums (I thought I was buying a real one) a couple of years ago. Looked real, even the movement, though I didn't have another to compare it to.

I had sent it off to Rolex as soon as I got it as it was my first real High End (to me) purchase, and they called back saying it was not authentic. I got my money back, but man they are pretty good now. It turns out the guy I bought it from who had great feedback, bought it from eBay

Do you have pictures of it? Surprised they were able to fake the newer movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post

I won't buy a secondhand Rolex unless it's from an AD. It was already hard enough, now it's ridiculous.

I watched that video recently. It's crazy how good even the movement looks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    I watched that video recently. It's crazy how good even the movement looks.
    It’s to the point where you need a loupe, a real one for reference, and a Rolex expert to help you out.

Do you have pictures of it? Surprised they were able to fake the newer movement.
    you would be surprised how good they are now they call them AA+ apparently box papers every detail correct just quality and fine details missing
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Blog Entries
    I’ll tell you, my Seamaster has all the hallmarks of a legit watch. Box, papers, receipts, communicative seller, I’ve looked over it extensively. But now seeing this video, I’m afraid. And that’s for an Omega, which isn’t faked nearly as much as Rolex is.

And I mean it’s 100% correct. I’ve looked over and over. And yet, this video still strikes fear. This is why I usually prefer to pay extra and go AD (though the SM300 would have been out of my price range).
    Last edited by Raza; Jun 6, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

I agree. I bought a few years ago a preowned diamond dialed Datejust for my wife from a reputable preowned Rolex dealer. The watch was real but the dial was aftermarket along with a few of the links. One of the diamonds came off the dial in shipping to the next owner. I wound up compensating for the dial. From that point forward only new from an AD. My skill at spotting fakes has gotten quite good regardless of the quality of the fakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

No it was one of those experiences I wanted to forget.

I learned my lesson after that one. The Pelagos I got after was from an AD, as was my Heritage Chrono and as is my Speedy.

11. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post