Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings.

Greetings.

Hi all.
    Well, this is interesting. I kind of stumbled upon this forum via a pic on Instagram. I didn't even realize there had been a mass exodus from "the other place" but there you go. I haven't spent a heap of time there of late and so hadn't had a chance to notice any real change since the takeover.
    I'm a relatively late in life newcomer to the world of horology and am working with a very limited budget. This keeps my collection quite small but I hope to pick out a few select pieces which will let me cover certain bases while hopefully representing great value and some horological significance.
    After a couple of slightly misguided purchases (one quite regrettable one in the shape of a TW Steel. The other a respectable enough Citizen Eco-Drive), I actually started to do some research and have learnt so much in the past year.
    My first "proper watch", and still my flagship, was a Tissot Visodate. This gets worn most days for work and dressed down with a strap change most weekends. Absolutely love it:-
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1430346698141.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  103.3 KB
    Then, just because it was such silly value, I had to grab a Seiko SNK809
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1430346767937.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  143.6 KB
    Next on the hit list was another affordable hero, the Orient Blue Ray. I know the Mako and Ray have their own fans. I personally preferred the aesthetic of the Ray and the deep, subtle blue is really sexy. This is enough dive watch for me unless I ever find myself in the unlikely position to buy a Sub:-
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1430347173804.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  74.7 KB
    Then, finally, my most recent acquisition was a Seiko SARB033. This came about as I found the need for a simple, modestly sized, steel bracelet piece in the classic Datejust, Grand Seiko vein but for more realistic money. I picked one up, used but in great condition from a fellow wis in Melbourne who I discovered via Instagram (@selenelion - go follow him, he has a great collection of affordables and a terrific eye). I adore this watch. It really does feel like a "poor man's Grand Seiko:-
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1430347543390.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  65.1 KB
    Which brings me to my continuing quest. My 40th is next year and I'm constantly to & fro-ing about what the special but still relatively moderate piece to mark that occasion will be.
    Stay tuned as I make my decision and no doubt call on this brains trust for help and guidance.
    The pics above are from my Instagram feed. If you'd like to see more and follow my horological adventures, you can find me as @not_that_dapper
    Thanks for your time! ✌
    Mat.
    Last edited by squire76; Apr 29, 2015 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squire76 View Post
    Hi all.
    Well, this is interesting. I kind of stumbled upon this forum via a pic on Instagram. I didn't even realize there had been a mass exodus from "the other place" but there you go. I haven't spent a heap of time there of late and so hadn't had a chance to notice any real change since the takeover.
    I'm a relatively late in life newcomer to the world of horology and am working with a very limited budget. This keeps my collection quite small but I hope to pick out a few select pieces which will let me cover certain bases while hopefully representing great value and some horological significance.
    After a couple of slightly misguided purchases (one quite regrettable one in the shape of a TW Steel. The other a respectable enough Citizen Eco-Drive), I actually started to do some research and have learnt so much in the past year.
    My first "proper watch", and still my flagship, was a Tissot Visodate. This gets worn most days for work and dressed down with a strap change most weekends. Absolutely love it:-

Then, just because it was such silly value, I had to grab a Seiko SNK809

Next on the hit list was another affordable hero, the Orient Blue Ray. I know the Mako and Ray have their own fans. I personally preferred the aesthetic of the Ray and the deep, subtle blue is really sexy. This is enough dive watch for me unless I ever find myself in the unlikely position to buy a Sub:-

Then, finally, my most recent acquisition was a Seiko SARB033. This came about as I found the need for a simple, modestly sized, steel bracelet piece in the classic Datejust, Grand Seiko vein but for more realistic money. I picked one up, used but in great condition from a fellow wis in Melbourne who I discovered via Instagram (@selenion - go follow him, he has a great collection of affordables and a terrific eye). I adore this watch. It really does feel like a "poor man's Grand Seiko:-
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1430347543390.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  65.1 KB
    Which brings me to my continuing quest. My 40th is next year and I'm constantly to & fro-ing about what the special but still relatively moderate piece to mark that occasion will be.
    Stay tuned as I make my decision and no doubt call on this brains trust for help and guidance.
    The pics above are from my Instagram feed. If you'd like to see more and follow my horological adventures, you can find me as @not_that_dapper
    Thanks for your time! ✌
    Mat.
    Hello and welcome. I hope you enjoy your time here.

3. Likes squire76 liked this post
    If you can see that picture of a building, lovely though it is, I apologise. I pasted it by mistake and now can't seem to get rid of it.....😳

Quote Originally Posted by squire76 View Post
    If you can see that picture of a building, lovely though it is, I apologise. I pasted it by mistake and now can't seem to get rid of it.....😳

Sorted - and...

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Sorted - and...

Dude! I don't know how you did it but thank you! 😃

Blog Entries
    Welcome!

9. Likes squire76 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

11. Likes squire76 liked this post
    Welcome to the madness. You've got a great collection going, all good pieces. Don't sell the SARB short, it can stand on its own. Hope you enjoy your time here.
    Chris:

13. Likes squire76 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bu11itt View Post
    Welcome to the madness. You've got a great collection going, all good pieces. Don't sell the SARB short, it can stand on its own. Hope you enjoy your time here.
    Oh, I don't mean to sell it short at all. I'm in love with the thing! It has a feel of quality and an attention to detail of watches ten times its price.

15. Likes bu11itt liked this post
    Welcome aboard! You've got a great collection
    I agree with your comments re @selenelion, I've followed him for quite a while and he's got some great stuff

17. Likes squire76 liked this post