Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stowa Partitio: The first 48 hours

Since you're selling it, does that mean it's now okay for me to complain that the seconds have five subdivisions on the dial but the movement ticks eight times per second?

Do any watches do that? If they did you would have the problem with the second hand not hitting the markers

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Do any watches do that? If they did you would have the problem with the second hand not hitting the markers
    I've always assumed that subdivisions between second markers came about with chronographs, and would match up with the possible places where the movement could be stopped. If your stopwatch has six places it can stop each second, say, then dividing the space in five isn't much use, a seeming precision which doesn't exist.

As to why subdivided seconds exist on watches that can't be stopped, my assumption is that people like being reminded of chronos, even by a signifier of something that isn't there

Over many years of collecting I've come to the realization of the pure goodness of a basic watch. That is a beautiful simplistic everyday watch. It is one of the few watches that I believe a date function would ruin it.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!