Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The stealthy Panerai...a mini review

The stealthy Panerai...a mini review

Now that I've had the 512 for ~2 weeks, I figured I'd do a quick mini review.

The dial is gorgeous to look at...the main reason I fell in love with this watch. The crystal is slightly domed, but no AR so it reflects....a lot and is a pain to photograph. Surprisingly though, it doesn't affect readability at all, since the hands are highly polished as well, so you can see them from just about any angle (see the wrist pic below).

I've settled on the brown gator strap for now. Changing straps is quite easy due to the drilled lugs, although not as easy as other Panerais. I like that they've provided a small notch inside the lugs so when you press the spring bars back in with a tool, you don't end up scratching the inside of the lugs.
    With a quick strap change you can easily dress it down.

The P999 movement is an interesting one. It doesn't hack and beats at a slower 21600bph (probably to get the 60 hr PR). I'm used to non hacking movements now so that's not an issue for me and thankfully, Panerai kept the seconds subdial small so you don't see the slower beat rate. Timekeeping's been a not-so-impressive +7 secs/day.

Panerai's movement finishing is very toolish/utilitarian, but its still quite pretty to look at, with the nice curves on the plates and the polish on the wheels and screws.

When I purchased it, I was expecting it to fit in to my collection as a weekend watch, but its so comfy on the wrist that I've been wearing it to work nearly every day. The thin profile with the curved lugs makes it easy to slide under a shirt cuff and the light weight means I can wear it comfortably for 8+ hours/day.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this purchase. Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Great review! Nice pics, thanks for a nice review!
    Love the 512. It's definitely my next purchase. It's a great size especially how thin it is. Very dressy for a panerai.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

3. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    One of my favorite Panerai's for sure
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

5. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    Very cool! And great photography of course.

People might find it weird but I actually like the look (the stacatto movement of the seconds hand) and especially the sound of a leisurely low beat movement. I think watchmakers like Lange have shown that you can make them quite accurate using large balance wheels but putting that aside I find the sound quite soothing :P I don't mind 4Hz but I think i would find 5 Hz annoying to listen to!

Enjoy the watch!
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

7. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post

People might find it weird but I actually like the look (the stacatto movement of the seconds hand) and especially the sound of a leisurely low beat movement. I think watchmakers like Lange have shown that you can make them quite accurate using large balance wheels but putting that aside I find the sound quite soothing :P I don't mind 4Hz but I think i would find 5 Hz annoying to listen to!

Enjoy the watch!
    Absolutely: 28,800 for sight and 21,600 for sound

Great pics & nice review.
    I could live with +7 per day - Better fast than slow
    I much prefer that crown to the mushroom version.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

10. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    Best looking Pam to come out in a long time!

12. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    The watch looks great on you, ck. The variety of brown/tan strap options that work with your Pam is really sweet. Enjoy your new acquisition!

Jane

14. Likes ck1109 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Great review! Nice pics, thanks for a nice review!
    Love the 512. It's definitely my next purchase. It's a great size especially how thin it is. Very dressy for a panerai.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    With the 5% price reduction, this is probably a good time to get a Panerai. Apparently, this is not a very popular model, so you can get some nice discounts from the AD on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post

Enjoy the watch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Absolutely: 28,800 for sight and 21,600 for sound

That's an interesting point. I do like listening to this more than my El Primero, to be honest, the sound is more enjoyable.