Likes Likes:  83

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose, and why?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • OP 39

10 45.45%
  • DJ 41

2 9.09%
  • Explorer II Polar

10 45.45%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions appreciated on my next watch ...

Opinions appreciated on my next watch ...

I have narrowed it down to three...

All pics borrowed from the WWW.

OP 39, white dial.

Pros: Mostly brushed except for bezel, and I like the clean, simple dial. Least expensive.

Cons: It may wear a bit small for my 7.25: wrist, but I tried it on and it looked fine in white, looked a bit small in black, so should be OK

Name:  Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-39-ref-114300-White-Dial-Baselworld-2018-4.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  38.6 KB

Date just 41, fluted bezel, Oyster bracelet, white dial (I think this pic is a silver dial, oh well, you get the idea.)

Pros: It may be a better size for me, I tried one on just this weekend and it was perfect.

Cons: Shiny bits, PCL's, may be too much for me as an intended GADA watch.

Name:  DJ41.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  27.7 KB

Explorer II Polar

Pros: All brushed, perfect size and I could use a GMT as I don't have one and I travel a lot. Great GADA watch according to Michael!

Cons: I hear the bezel is a scratch magnet and the black painted inlays seem to chip.

Name:  EX Polar.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  74.8 KB

As a GADA watch, to go along with the VC OS chronograph, what are your feelings on these my IWL friends? Thanks for the input!

Walter
    Last edited by wschofield3; Jul 1, 2019 at 06:39 PM.

I'd choose the GMT over the other two. The white Oyster Perpetual is slick but also no date (a negative for me); the DJ isn't sporty enough for my taste, and the Explorer is a great size, has useful features, and just has a presence the other two lack (to my eyes). Good luck choosing, though. I think any of them are a solid option in general.

3. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Inasmuch as the OP is the one that draws me the most aesthetically, I think either of the other two would be a better GADA watch, probably the Exp II based on your comments on traveling . . .

5. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My choice would be the Polar Explorer of these three. While I would probably find it too big for my own tastes, it sounds perfect for yours.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

7. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Polar explorer with the OP as a close second.

9. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    OP for me.

They’re all GADAs, and the OP has an appealing simplicity. The size will be fine for you. My wrist is 7.5” and I think of 39mm as the bottom of big, rather than the top of small.

Datejusts look better at 36mm, in my view. The Explorer II is a fine thing, but a bit too eye-catching for me. I hadn’t heard about paint chipping. Is that a real thing or a gossipy internet thing?

11. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    OP for me.

They’re all GADAs, and the OP has an appealing simplicity. The size will be fine for you. My wrist is 7.5” and I think of 39mm as the bottom of big, rather than the top of small.

Datejusts look better at 36mm, in my view. The Explorer II is a fine thing, but a bit too eye-catching for me. I hadn’t heard about paint chipping. Is that a real thing or a gossipy internet thing?
    I thought it might be an internet "gossipy thing", but then I looked at some pre loved options and two of them out of many listed chipped paint on the bezel inlays.

Thanks for the input so far, all!

Now that I think about it, my Explorer II (previous generation) had a reputation for paint chipping. Mine didn’t have any chips after eight years, but I guess the paint is vulnerable. I would have touched mine up with model paint if there had been a problem. I was accustomed to doing that with G-Shocks.

14. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Exp II followed by OP,the DJ is a bit too old for my taste

I have an older exp II (16570) and I tried the newer version (216570) personally I prefer the older version as the new one fits bigger than a 44mm panerai....

Regarding scratch magnet bezel,the numbers on my bezel are mostly intact considering I wore the watch even during high school time...

The bezel on the pam is a different story though....

16. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Of the three, I'd go with the OP. Simple elegance with minimal bling. The lack of date is a plus in my eyes - nothing to upset the balance/symmetry of the dial. I have a 7½" wrist and I've come to the conclusion that 39mm (give or take a mm) is the optimum size for me.
    The Datejust has never done anything for me.

The Polar sounds like the practical solution for you and there's no doubt it's a great looking watch, but for me; it just 'shouts' Rolex too loudly.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

18. Likes wschofield3 liked this post