Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is the Minute hand a "complication"?

Is the Minute hand a "complication"?

I've been looking at 1 handed 24hr watches (I know...not a lot of options there).

And the question arose: is the minute hand considered a "complication"?
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    I've been looking at 1 handed 24hr watches (I know...not a lot of options there).

And the question arose: is the minute hand considered a "complication"?
    No. Nor is the seconds hand. The gear train includes the balance, the pallet fork, the escape wheel, the fourth wheel (which drives the seconds hand when in a subdial or indirectly driven), the third wheel, the center wheel (intermediate wheel in watches with directly driven central seconds hands), and the great wheel (which is attached to the mainspring). The fourth wheel drives the seconds hand and the center wheel drives the hours hand. The minutes hand is driven off the cannon pinion. Watches have had minutes hands for hundreds of years.

The complication is the central seconds hand.

Rick "but, yes, the first tower clocks of the late middle ages had only hours hands" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Begs the question, is the hand on an Einzeiger, a minute hand ? or an hour hand ?,.... or just a time hand ?......

I've got four from the same company , built by Laco with white dial, black dial , automatic and manual in both. /...... Yeah I know

I'm thinking I want one with a rotating bezel that has 6,12,18,24 marked as numbers, the other 20 hours as tick marks - so it can be instantly re-set to local time. Anyone make one? If the bezel were equipped with detents, would 1 hour resolution be enough? 1/2 hour? finer than that?

Personally, I would set it to the sun every noon - so forget the detents. Time zones are a bad idea; just say nyet.

G.C.T. markers on the dial itself strictly optional.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.