Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Longines cal.17.69NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    Yes. I haven’t been able to get any purchase on the screw. If it’s rusted... could be a problem. Was thinking of reverting to WD40 but there’s no coming back from that decision...

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    yes tricky with them being so small could it be you need to sand down your screw driver tip some times that helps me
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    think it's a version of the old Longines 12.68Z maybe ?

My case serial seems to put it 1934-37. The 12.68Z seems to start 1938 and with more jewels. A predecessor perhaps?

My case serial seems to put it 1934-37. The 12.68Z seems to start 1938 and with more jewels. A predecessor perhaps?

I had modified my post the pic was just to show they did the basic metal models too,

there is what looks to be 332z in the first pic under the hair spring I showed soo think their maybe a 12.332z but guessing a bit ..it's four in the morning here so will look properly after I have grabbed a few hours of kip.. think the movements from the 20's or 30's so yes would say early version
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Blog Entries
    Couple of notes, the older you get the more prevalence of screwed jewels as opposed to pressed in. I don't have a reference in Swiss models, but as for the US, earlier jeweled models used screwed in jewels. Lastly, early on, companies would use the same movement (base plate, bridges, etc.) and change the jewels used. I have a UN version which most folks associate with their top of the line 21 jewel movement, but it only has 15 jewels.

Not that this helps except to understand why it is harder to pin down.

All the best,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Couple of notes, the older you get the more prevalence of screwed jewels as opposed to pressed in. I don't have a reference in Swiss models, but as for the US, earlier jeweled models used screwed in jewels. Lastly, early on, companies would use the same movement (base plate, bridges, etc.) and change the jewels used. I have a UN version which most folks associate with their top of the line 21 jewel movement, but it only has 15 jewels.

Not that this helps except to understand why it is harder to pin down.

All the best,
    Dan
    think for me showing the front as well as-the movement help to identify them ... think you have it thou so would say a version of the 12.68z then ?
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    think for me showing the front as well as-the movement help to identify them ... think you have it thou so would say a version of the 12.68z then ?
    I would agree that it is a version of the 12.68z. The bridges have the same look and layout and the screw holes match. it is not uncommon for a manufacturer to not plate a lower jewel movement. One way to build "value" in a higher jewel count.

Thanks!

Dan

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    This is the sad basket case in all its dirty, cracked glory...

Blog Entries
    This is the sad basket case in all its dirty, cracked glory...

Tis a shame. I like to get mine running again to wear them. This one will take a lot of care.

Dan

Is this a Longines cal.17.69NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Tis a shame. I like to get mine running again to wear them. This one will take a lot of care.

Dan
    This will be a long term project... suspect I’ll need more than one donor and more money than sense.

Now that I know I’m looking for a 12.68z I have somewhere to start.

11. Likes Dan R liked this post

Is this a Longines cal.17.69NZ?

This probably belongs in the watchrepair forum but you guys have been so helpful in the past it feels like cheating on you to go elsewhere.

After a little patient encouragement the stem came out. I was foolishly expecting the movement to just drop out of the case. It spins in the case about 270 degrees then sticks. I removed some of the bridge screws to see what sort of condition lies beneath. Signs of rust but they came out easily. Mostly dirt. Presumably this is what’s keeping the movement in the case.

Any suggestions to encourage the movement to come out of the case? I don’t want to do anything to vigorous due to the cracked enamel dial.

Last edited by morningtundra; Jul 14, 2019 at 06:40 PM.