Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Longines cal.17.69NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    This probably belongs in the watchrepair forum but you guys have been so helpful in the past it feels like cheating on you to go elsewhere.

After a little patient encouragement the stem came out. I was foolishly expecting the movement to just drop out of the case. It spins in the case about 270 degrees then sticks. I removed some of the bridge screws to see what sort of condition lies beneath. Signs of rust but they came out easily. Mostly dirt. Presumably this is what’s keeping the movement in the case.

Any suggestions to encourage the movement to come out of the case? I don’t want to do anything to vigorous due to the cracked enamel dial.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    would think a front loader ..in that I mean it come out from the front of the case maybe ..as can't see any screw holes for movement holders so being very old good chance from the front
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

if not look for a thin metal spacer that takes up the space and holds it firm . but still reckon a front loader
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

3. Likes morningtundra liked this post

Is this a Longines cal.17.69NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    if not look for a thin metal spacer that takes up the space and holds it firm . but still reckon a front loader
    You were right. Once I got the bezel off it dropped out. The dial looks to be pretty fragile. Any suggestions how to clean this? Or even how to get it off in one piece?

Think I’ve found a parts donor for this too...

You were right. Once I got the bezel off it dropped out. The dial looks to be pretty fragile. Any suggestions how to clean this? Or even how to get it off in one piece?

Think I’ve found a parts donor for this too...

well once the hands come off there would be maybe two screws one opposite the other on the side of the movement which you loosen then the dial would lift up and out but with the damage it's tricky some times had one did look two bad till I removed it and it had a crack I could not see and broke in two so yeah good luck with that .. but hard to say with it looking at it from all angles .

as for cleaning dials depend which one if the dial is a transfer print I would use a cotton wool buds and a week washing up mix to remove the dirt ..

but you have to watch out thou as with some printing you can remove it too , so always do a small test area first
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

well once the hands come off there would be maybe two screws one opposite the other on the side of the movement which you loosen then the dial would lift up and out but with the damage it's tricky some times had one did look two bad till I removed it and it had a crack I could not see and broke in two so yeah good luck with that .. but hard to say with it looking at it from all angles .

as for cleaning dials depend which one if the dial is a transfer print I would use a cotton wool buds and a week washing up mix to remove the dirt ..

but you have to watch out thou as with some printing you can remove it too , so always do a small test area first
    It might be an utter disaster and I’ll just have to live with the guilt of destroying it if I goof up.

Don’t think those hands will want to come off easily. Is there anything I can treat them with to loosen them up first? Some kind of penetrating oil?

It might be an utter disaster and I’ll just have to live with the guilt of destroying it if I goof up.

Don’t think those hands will want to come off easily. Is there anything I can treat them with to loosen them up first? Some kind of penetrating oil?

not sure I got lubricating oil but hmmm would a very small amount of wd40 work I wonder or would it affect the other oil's in the watch ? I just normally use my hand removing tool
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

... Is there anything I can treat them with to loosen them up first? Some kind of penetrating oil?
    Try heat first - A soldering iron is the best option - Rest the tip on the centre for a few minutes to heat it up, then stick it in an air-tight bag (or wrap in cling film) and into the freezer. The expansion & contraction might be just enough to 'crack' any crusty bits.
    Failing that: A small drop of 'PlusGas'. WD40 is more of a moisture repellent than a penetrating fluid, and it leaves a sticky residue.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Try heat first - A soldering iron is the best option - Rest the tip on the centre for a few minutes to heat it up, then stick it in an air-tight bag (or wrap in cling film) and into the freezer. The expansion & contraction might be just enough to 'crack' any crusty bits.
    Failing that: A small drop of 'PlusGas'. WD40 is more of a moisture repellent than a penetrating fluid, and it leaves a sticky residue.
    think the heat then cold would finish the dial off with those hair line cracks but it's a thought
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

think the heat then cold would finish the dial off with those hair line cracks but it's a thought
    The heat shouldn't 'touch' the dial; but good point about the freezing - I don't know how enamel reacts to the cold ? Enamel bakeware is capable of cooking and freezing.... not sure if the same type of enamel.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Blog Entries
    This is enamel on a brass (?) dial/plate. They will have different coefficients of expansion. In a normal setting, such as would be seen by a person, doubt it would be too bad. But heat would cause cause the dial to expand while the enamel would not want to.

I would try penetrating oil first as since you will have to clean the movement anyway, you'll get that oil out. If that does not work, then you can experiment and then report back.

Dan

12. Likes morningtundra liked this post