11. You may not vote on this poll
  • tribe and the Luch Perestroika

2 18.18%
  • ismy and the Seiko h449-5120a .

9 81.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** Mfas IV - The Voyage Home **** round two ****

**** Mfas IV - The Voyage Home **** round two ****

ok ladies and gentleman this is the next round of the more for a score comp we have been doing.

for those that may not have seen them before we do a comp every now and then when members ask for it been doing them from almost the start of IWL... so the plan buy a watch has to cost under £20 pounds ( or what ever your local currency is to that sum ) plus post (here most try to get the post as part of the £20 pounds - but did say a small amount was over look-able if not excessive )

then you wait for them,and clean and fix them up if they need it and see whose one wins the most votes and they win a badge .. the glory ..bragging rights... etc etc

ok next two pulled are :

tribe and the Luch Perestroika .

The brutalist aesthetics caught my eye, but mostly I liked the symbolism - a battered and faded survivor of a more optimistic age, before nationalism became the order of the day. The wear pattern shows that someone wore this as a regular watch. Maybe it was their only watch. Who can that have been, and living what kind of life? It didn’t seem right to smarten it up, so it’s as it was when it slipped out of the Jiffy bag.

It has a Slava SU 2356 movement (quartz), and it works - accurately.

Purchased from a seller in Minsk, where it was originally made, for £20.11 (incl. postage).

I’ve posted a receipt elsewhere but can’t find it right now.

I fully expect to be first round cannon fodder, but enjoyed the hunt - and even the watch.

vs

ismy and the Seiko h449-5120a .

ok well my entry is this seiko h449 -5120 was bought as part of a joblot so £10 plus £2.90 post so call it £13 in total ..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotary-Se...p2047675.l2557

well was bought none working and was packed very badly for del so case and crystal was marked so I clean and polished both case and crystal and original bracelet then I moved on to the inside their was several missing screws one for holding the battery clip in place so found some that fit so sorted that had to also sort the buttons as looked like one was jammed in making everything not work (don't know if this happen in the post or was from before ) and found and sourced a battery for it and seems to be fully working now even down to the light ..

Seiko h449-5120a ...

Attached Images

Voting will do it as a view-able vote so those on tapacrap who want to vote can just say here and then when voting finishes will add those to the score on tallying up .. every one is welcome to vote whether they enter anything or not

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

For me, it's going to have to be the Seiko. However, it's much closer than I expected. As a watch, the Seiko is the absolute hands down winner, it even shares a fair amount of DNA with the Seiko H357 Bond watch from For Your Eyes Only, the condition is splendid and it's a brilliant example of that period in which Seiko set the quartz agenda. However, the Slava has some wonderful history and is definitely the cooler of the two. Both have interesting movements in different ways and both have Marmite styling. But I can imagine slipping the Seiko on in a number of situations while the Slava would really have to be responding to a very specific theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    For me, it's going to have to be the Seiko. However, it's much closer than I expected. As a watch, the Seiko is the absolute hands down winner, it even shares a fair amount of DNA with the Seiko H357 Bond watch from For Your Eyes Only, the condition is splendid and it's a brilliant example of that period in which Seiko set the quartz agenda. However, the Slava has some wonderful history and is definitely the cooler of the two. Both have interesting movements in different ways and both have Marmite styling. But I can imagine slipping the Seiko on in a number of situations while the Slava would really have to be responding to a very specific theme.
    same family as the arnie watch heres the flip movement

Seiko Man's Watch H556-500A Steel, Black Dial 1981
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

4. Likes Matt liked this post
    I didn't know that. Thanks.

has to be the Seiko for me, it always amazes me how Ismy can bring these supposedly dead watches back to life, I have very little patience for trying to fix stuff and there would be more screws missing than when I started lol

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkyfisher View Post
    has to be the Seiko for me, it always amazes me how Ismy can bring these supposedly dead watches back to life, I have very little patience for trying to fix stuff and there would be more screws missing than when I started lol
    aww thank mate as you know it's a gamble but have fun trying if I can get one or two out of each lot working then is happy but more times then not they are shot
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I didn't know that. Thanks.
    pips probably your man for the info but I believe it's this model that use the same movement as my black dial

apparently my ones get strip down for the movements for these
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Has to be the Seiko, especially considering the restoration work.

11. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I am charmed by the Luch, but I would actually wear that Seiko. It looks like the same movement as my wife's dual ana-digi that she purchased around 1986. It's in great condition, and can probably tick for another 30 years, the way these things last.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

As ugly as it is, the Luch makes me smile:
    Every time I see/hear Perestroika, I think: "Gob - Baa - Chef"

.... or should that be: "Mouth - Sheep - Tongue" ?
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

14. Likes Matt liked this post