Likes Likes:  116
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you thinking about purchasing, and why?

What are you thinking about purchasing, and why?

We have "random watch" and "what did you purchase today" threads, and I got to thinking ... with so many asking opinions on their particular collections, which way to go and all, why not a "what are you thinking about purchasing" thread? I'm sure it's been done before, but I went back several pages on IWL Central and could not find a similar thread.

Please share your thoughts on your collections, even if not considering a purchase as it helps all of us look at a variety of ways to approach our hobby.

If you're thinking about a purchase, please also share your thoughts on how it fits into your collection from your perspective, and why you like it so much.

I'll go first....

I am thinking of getting my first Rolex since being in my 20's, but just in the past couple of days, I'm wondering if it will really get any wrist time since I purchased my VC OS chronograph. It has become my GADA, and I picked up another Ball X-Lume, which is my more "casual" watch, and the Gravity Master G for beater work. Dressy, I have my Mido and Certina.

That led me to thinking that I should buy my bride a watch. She has a quartz Rado and Concord Mariner, but she deserves a high quality mechanical watch...so, I may be done for real, folks, I just can't see me with another high dollar watch that will displace the VC.

OK, your turn! Thanks for participating!

All the best,

Walter

2. Likes JAGtime, skywatch liked this post
    I cannot explain why but I am thinking, just thinking mind you, of another Speedmaster Pro. I had 2 and let them go, so, I dunno. It would have to be the 321, 861, 1866 movement, not a modern co-axial. As a chronograph in general there are other superb choices out there.

And I often think about the X-33 Skywalker.
    Last edited by chuckmiller; Jul 9, 2019 at 02:13 AM.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

4. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Thinking about getting one of these...

Name:  expeditionproto.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  31.2 KB

... the release of which should be in the not-too-distant future.

However, I have a couple of reservations about it and am waiting to see the finished product before deciding.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post

However, I have a couple of reservations about it and am waiting to see the finished product before deciding.

I like the style. The hands and light dial make me think of this Farer.

7. Likes wschofield3, Fantasio liked this post
    Lots of watches flutter in and out of my ‘want’ thoughts

I don’t have any plan !

I must resist - then the thought subsides for a while.....some get past the defences - like the recent Armand Nicolet and the Vulcain and the Speedbird and .....

So I’d better not discuss any of my thoughts or I’ll start to looking for one again.

Habring mebbe
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

9. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    I’m pretty much content with my collection and have no plan for any expensive watch,I might just buy a gshock if I see something I like

Currently I’d rather spend my hard earned on travels than on yet another expensive wrist jewelry

11. Likes CFR, Cybotron, uchinanchu, wschofield3, KingK liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    I’m pretty much content with my collection and have no plan for any expensive watch
    This defines my position on this matter, perfectly.

13. Likes uchinanchu, wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post

I'm certainly very tempted. Again. On the one hand it will be the third time I've bought basically the same watch. On the other hand Alan's AM has probably taken up fifty percent of my wrist since I bought it. My obsession with a certain mountain is well known, so this really is a no brainer. Mind you, being me, I'll probably wait and pick it up second hand like the rest of the timefactors watches in my collection. I'll keep my eye out for spare bracelets too...

What I will struggle not to do is to take a file to the lugs and reduce them to the correct Dennison shape. I'm really not joking.
    Last edited by Matt; Jul 8, 2019 at 09:16 PM.

15. Likes crownpuller, wschofield3 liked this post
    Stasis for me with JLC Réserve de Marche, Grand Seiko Spring Drive and MkII Hawkinge.

Nothing to add, nothing to take away.

With a spare £15k, I might add this -

Name:  89C589C6-FE5C-48AA-861A-B0FCC2589DA1.jpeg
Views: 157
Size:  122.6 KB

I'm semi-considering a Hublot. Really. But it's a vintage Hublot dive watch. Looks like a Classic Fusion with a steel dive bezel, but only 36mm diameter, and thin.

Why? Novelty? Impulse? I don't really know. For a lot of the crap that Hublot gets, the original Fusion is a pretty elegant watch, and not as Royal Oak-y as people imply.

Edit for pic: This model:

Last edited by Dimman; Jul 8, 2019 at 11:44 PM.