Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Contrary advice...

  1. #1

    Contrary advice...

    So, conventional wisdom (or is that WISdom) that I've always heard is that, for a modern manual watch, if you aren't wearing it all the time, you can let it run down, then just wind it when you want to wear it (assuming it's not months/years between use). Supposedly, modern lubricants are sufficiently good that there's no worry about pooling or drying out from non-use, at least not for reasonably short lengths of time.

    But in the manual for my Vacheron, which has a modern movement (Cal. 4400), there is this:

    "If your watch is not worn regularly, it is advisable to wind it daily so as to keep it running permanently and thus avoid the need for over-frequent adjustments."

    Any experts out there want to comment?

  2. Likes Der Amf, CFR liked this post
  3. #2
    El bot. geoffbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    18,677
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post

    Any experts out there want to comment?
    Yeah man - buy something like a seiko with a decent movement.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

  4. #3
    Member Steppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Melton Mowbray, Uk
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    So, conventional wisdom (or is that WISdom) that I've always heard is that, for a modern manual watch, if you aren't wearing it all the time, you can let it run down, then just wind it when you want to wear it (assuming it's not months/years between use). Supposedly, modern lubricants are sufficiently good that there's no worry about pooling or drying out from non-use, at least not for reasonably short lengths of time.

    But in the manual for my Vacheron, which has a modern movement (Cal. 4400), there is this:

    "If your watch is not worn regularly, it is advisable to wind it daily so as to keep it running permanently and thus avoid the need for over-frequent adjustments."

    Any experts out there want to comment?

    The more the movement is active, the more daily/normal wear and tear there will be on the movement, which means it will need servicing earlier and more often.

    Surely VC (a business) aren't recommending an action that will benefit them financially !! Thats preposterous !!

    Let it stop, wind it when you wear it and when VC charge you an arm and a leg for servicing costs in 10yrs time you'll be glad you only paid for that once in 10yrs rather than twice!!!

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Yeah man - buy something like a seiko with a decent movement.
    ( )

    Now, seriously: my watchmaker had a strong professional relationship with VC. He was in charge of its local technical department, before he got retired, last year. I can't - and I shoudn't - reproduce some of the informations he passed to me but, in this case, I believe VC is just being hyper-over-ultra-conscious... Let it stop / run deppending on your needs and... relax.


    Edit: Following my watchmaker's advice, my watches get a full charge twice a month as a minimum, though
    Last edited by CFR; May 1, 2015 at 05:31 PM.

  6. Likes Der Amf, iyonk, mlcor, popoki nui liked this post
  7. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Yeah man - buy something like a seiko with a decent movement.

  8. Likes CFR liked this post
  9. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    ( )

    Now, seriously: my watchmaker had a strong professional relationship with VC. He was in charge of its local technical department, before he got retired, last year. I can't - and I shoudn't - reproduce some of the informations he passed to me but, in this case, I believe VC is just being hyper-over-ultra-conscious... Let it stop / run deppending on your needs and... relax.


    Edit: Following my watchmaker's advice, my watches get a full charge twice a month as a minimum, though
    That seems more logical.

    Feel free to PM me any juicy top secret details, though.

  10. Likes CFR liked this post
  11. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Surely VC (a business) aren't recommending an action that will benefit them financially !! Thats preposterous !!
    Fair enough, although you would think the amount they make for service is a pittance compared to new sales...

  12. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    That seems more logical.

    Feel free to PM me any juicy top secret details, though.
    My watchmaker loved the brand. Never heard of "secret" problems You're VC will be fine for many, many years. Now if you ask me about brand...and brand...and...no, can't do.
    Last edited by CFR; May 1, 2015 at 06:08 PM.

  13. Likes Der Amf, mlcor liked this post
  14. #9
    Member rfortson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Houston (Clearlake) TX
    Posts
    706
    My watchmaker recommends running them at least once a month.

  15. Likes CFR liked this post
  16. #10
    Moderator - Central tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    12,871
    Vacheron Constantin - out-of-date by 260 years...

    But seriously, I can't see why they would say that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are an independent and wide-ranging forum for watch enthusiasts. From mainspring to microchip, from Europe to Asia, from micro-brand to boutique - we cover it all. Novice or expert, we want you to feel at home. Whether it's asking a simple question or contributing to the fund of horological knowledge, it's all the same hobby. Or, if you like, you can just show us a picture of your new watch. We'll provide the welcoming and courteous environment, the rest is up to you!
Join us