Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contrary advice...

Contrary advice...

So, conventional wisdom (or is that WISdom) that I've always heard is that, for a modern manual watch, if you aren't wearing it all the time, you can let it run down, then just wind it when you want to wear it (assuming it's not months/years between use). Supposedly, modern lubricants are sufficiently good that there's no worry about pooling or drying out from non-use, at least not for reasonably short lengths of time.

But in the manual for my Vacheron, which has a modern movement (Cal. 4400), there is this:

"If your watch is not worn regularly, it is advisable to wind it daily so as to keep it running permanently and thus avoid the need for over-frequent adjustments."

Any experts out there want to comment?

2. Likes Der Amf, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post

Yeah man - buy something like a seiko with a decent movement.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

So, conventional wisdom (or is that WISdom) that I've always heard is that, for a modern manual watch, if you aren't wearing it all the time, you can let it run down, then just wind it when you want to wear it (assuming it's not months/years between use). Supposedly, modern lubricants are sufficiently good that there's no worry about pooling or drying out from non-use, at least not for reasonably short lengths of time.

But in the manual for my Vacheron, which has a modern movement (Cal. 4400), there is this:

"If your watch is not worn regularly, it is advisable to wind it daily so as to keep it running permanently and thus avoid the need for over-frequent adjustments."

The more the movement is active, the more daily/normal wear and tear there will be on the movement, which means it will need servicing earlier and more often.

Surely VC (a business) aren't recommending an action that will benefit them financially !! Thats preposterous !!

Let it stop, wind it when you wear it and when VC charge you an arm and a leg for servicing costs in 10yrs time you'll be glad you only paid for that once in 10yrs rather than twice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    ( )

Now, seriously: my watchmaker had a strong professional relationship with VC. He was in charge of its local technical department, before he got retired, last year. I can't - and I shoudn't - reproduce some of the informations he passed to me but, in this case, I believe VC is just being hyper-over-ultra-conscious... Let it stop / run deppending on your needs and... relax.

Edit: Following my watchmaker's advice, my watches get a full charge twice a month as a minimum, though
    Last edited by CFR; May 1, 2015 at 04:31 PM.

6. Likes Der Amf, iyonk, mlcor, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post

8. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    ( )

Now, seriously: my watchmaker had a strong professional relationship with VC. He was in charge of its local technical department, before he got retired, last year. I can't - and I shoudn't - reproduce some of the informations he passed to me but, in this case, I believe VC is just being hyper-over-ultra-conscious... Let it stop / run deppending on your needs and... relax.

Edit: Following my watchmaker's advice, my watches get a full charge twice a month as a minimum, though
    That seems more logical.

Feel free to PM me any juicy top secret details, though.

10. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Surely VC (a business) aren't recommending an action that will benefit them financially !! Thats preposterous !!
    Fair enough, although you would think the amount they make for service is a pittance compared to new sales...

That seems more logical.

Feel free to PM me any juicy top secret details, though.
    My watchmaker loved the brand. Never heard of "secret" problems You're VC will be fine for many, many years. Now if you ask me about brand...and brand...and...no, can't do.
    Last edited by CFR; May 1, 2015 at 05:08 PM.

13. Likes Der Amf, mlcor liked this post
    My watchmaker recommends running them at least once a month.

15. Likes CFR liked this post
    Vacheron Constantin - out-of-date by 260 years...

But seriously, I can't see why they would say that.