Quick Take

Today we have the seventh model in a series of 25th anniversary limited editions created by A. Lange & Söhne to commemorate the launch of the original Lange 1 back in 1994. That Lange 1, presented by Günter Blümlein and Walter Lange at a press conference in Germany, went on to become a pretty instant icon and the most widely recognizable design of the relaunched A. Lange & Söhne.*
As if proof of its success was needed, one can point to the several different executions, movements, and versions that the Lange 1 has spawned. Today we look at the Grand Lange 1, which at 41mm in diameter provides a bit more wrist presence than your standard 38.5mm Lange 1. As with other examples in this growing series of Lange 1s celebrating the collection's 25th anniversary, this one comes in a white metal case with a silver dial and blue accents in the form of painted markers and blued steel hands. *And as with other examples we've seen this year to date (with the exception the 250-piece Lange 1 LE launched at SIHH) this guy is limited to 25 pieces, which means that it is probably going to be very difficult to get.*
Initial Thoughts

I like the clean simplicity*of the Lange 1, which has all of the characteristic balance of the original 38.5mm Lange 1 thanks to a larger movement that was specifically designed to keep those proportions intact. In fact, that is something that I have always admired about Lange. While the 38.5mm size feels perfect to me, I can easily see how watch enthusiasts, and in particular watch enthusiasts with larger wrists, might want a Lange 1 that was a touch larger. With 41mm Lange 1 they get that, without any compromise regarding the carefully balanced proportions of the dial.*
Turning this watch over, you'll also notice that the Grand Lange 1's beautifully finished and decorated movement fills out the casecback perfectly. And the tell-tale flourish indicating that this piece belongs to the anniversary Lange 1 collection is there in the form of the hand-engraved balance cock with a blue "25."
The Basics

Brand: A. Lange & Söhne
Model: Grand Lange 1 25th Anniversary
Reference Number: 117.066
Diameter: 41mm
Thickness: 8.6mm
Case Material: White gold
Dial Color: Solid silver, argenté
Indexes: Printed blue
Lume: No
Water Resistance:
Strap/Bracelet: Hand stitched blue alligator leather with grey seam