Likes Likes:  80
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you wearing most this summer?

Blog Entries

What are you wearing most this summer?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/be...buUJYTuQUi_npk

The headline caught my eye, so I clicked on it, which I guess means it worked as intended. But what surprised me is that I wouldn't really consider most of these to be summery watches.

For those who don't want to click, here are the pictures:

Nothing really strikes me as particularly summery. I mean, the Oris could be, but it's on a very serious looking gray NATO. The Flightmaster at least has some color to it.

But this got me thinking. What's your most worn watch so far this summer? For me, it's been my Seamaster 300 on a number of NATOs.

Last edited by Raza; Jul 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

2. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I like that Oris. Otherwise most of those watches are all basically obvious and not particularly seasonal, you're right.

My summer watches are basically the same as my winter watches, but a bit more exposed to the sun. Maybe the little vintage dressy ones take a back seat in favor of casual, but there isn't a bracelet anywhere in my collection. Nylon Zulu straps are first choice in the heat; but our weather is usually pretty mild here so I rarely have to select based on perspiration.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes Raza liked this post
    Their summer watch is so somber and stoic,a bit too German for my taste

Technically almost all my watches are summer watch as the weather on my country is perpetually hot and humid

Been wearing this combo since June 24th...

6. Likes JAGtime, hayday liked this post
    My most worn in the summer is the G-Shock, since it gets worn whenever I play golf...

I don’t know what a summer watch is. I do know what a sweating like a pig watch is - something plastic you can clean with a garden hose.

9. Likes skywatch, Henry Krinkle, wschofield3 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I don’t know what a summer watch is. I do know what a sweating like a pig watch is - something plastic you can clean with a garden hose.
    It's a summery vibe. There's nothing "inappropriate" for summer about any of those watches, but the summertime evokes feeling of playfulness, colorfulness, and water/beach-based activities. A gray dial Royal Oak, for example, or the BLNR, is a pretty serious and stoic watch choice. Not playful in the least.

You know, like Hopper's date night shirt, as opposed to Hopper's sheriff's uniform.

This one since it's got bright colors.

Name:  Screenshot_20190425-221046_Photos.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  73.9 KB
    Cheers,

Richard

12. Likes Raza, yokied, pacifico66, JAGtime, synequano, hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    This one since it's got bright colors.

Name:  Screenshot_20190425-221046_Photos.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  73.9 KB
    See, now that's a summery watch. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

14. Likes Cybotron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I don’t know what a summer watch is.
    That's likely because the concept of summer may be particularly difficult to grasp for folks from the Isles.

A genuine question: am I missing a lot from the watch world by completely ignoring Hodinkee?

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    A genuine question: am I missing a lot from the watch world by completely ignoring Hodinkee?
    That's like wondering whether you're missing out on the finer points in the wine's bouquet because you're not hanging out with wine snobs.

Facetiousness aside though, I visit their site for the articles by Jason Heaton and Jack Forster who is funny and goes in depth on history and technical details. i.e. He researches and writes a proper article, rather than simply rehashing the market release notes with a soundbite or two and using the manufacturer's own photos that passes for so much watch journalism these days.

As for the rest - well the coverage is seldom critical, (especially of it's about Rolex or Omega) and leans towards the unspeakably expensive or repugnant hip(ster). They also tend to 'discover' and hype a particular watch until the prices rise stratospherically. And their recent collabs... Well, they sell out quickly - let's just say that.
    Last edited by FSM71; Jul 28, 2019 at 03:58 PM.
    I'd Schwarzkopf it daily, except I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable explanations...

17. Likes rodia77, yokied liked this post