Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: **** The Holy grail of military watches ****

I thought that the whole point of a grail was that you had to really really want it, but it had to be either prohibitively expensive or utterly unavailable. As such, how about this cheeky little number from the people who built Big Ben:

well price should not be a factor take rolex there are enough of them around to make then neither rarer or in my books special enough anyone with enough cash can get one whether wis or not . think grail should mean and need something more .

what is a grail well I have always like this term .

the object of an extended or difficult quest.

walking into your local ad does not seem difficult or extended (although rolex are making people wait extended periods of time now a days )

think it need to be something rarer and truly special for it to be called a grail
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

The milsub is a grail though... as per Matt, it's prohibitively expensive... and somewhat rare.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    The milsub is a grail though... as per Matt, it's prohibitively expensive... and somewhat rare.
    in a way yes and the look and the story does make it work it is the one exception that makes the rule kinda thing in my eyes people looking to buy that know all about it history and association I would have thought mean I would be tempted it's a very good looking watch FOR A ROLEX

went for a steinhart because I like that sort looking dial.. but for the look did not buy because some say poor mans rolo for the price it ant that cheap ... if that was some ones feeling am sure they could have got a a++++ knock off for what I paid for my stieny

so yeah as I said can see it up their if we are talking milsub / or poster was ? .. but grail worthy maybe to some suppose depends what we are looking for ...

as cost as I said I don't think really should be an aspect of a grail in general ... mean if their are hundred if not thousands around or more does not see that rarer again with the exception of the milsub as reckon probably not that many truly all original around.

suppose now if we take Russian watches their some grail watches that are expensive and hard to get 3017, say or Gagarin or for that matter the vostok 3133 they do come pricey .

but you can have grails in Russian watches that only cost no money say a N.O.S apr say or some of the early zims , rakate and such like they are rarer but when sold go for little money . because not sure why really just how it is they are like hens teeth to get but still cheep as chips so in theory they would not be grails to do with cost .but you can be hunting for them for years before they pop up for pennies some time I know I sold a load of them

I always think to me it's down to history maybe not sure think the grail term is mis-used a lot today maybe or the term has change with time maybe ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

I agree with you ISMY. I was trying to think of the ways things became unavailable to someone who wanted one. Being too damned expensive is certainly a way, but your point that this would make many otherwise ordinary Rolex grails seems spot on to me. Now I'm not sure what I mean.

6. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I agree with you ISMY. I was trying to think of the ways things became unavailable to someone who wanted one. Being too damned expensive is certainly a way, but your point that this would make many otherwise ordinary Rolex grails seems spot on to me. Now I'm not sure what I mean.
    yes to be fair not just rolex other high end brands and maybe not even that high too if it is just price stopping some one from getting it is it enough to be called a grail ..mean sometime it's who you are too we have all read threads about watches being keep only for those special customers ... smacks of something else then being called a grail ? .
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Ha ha, all I know is that I want the MilSub. Badly. I cannot afford one, and even if I could, I doubt I could find one... Hence, my grail.

9. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    And to think that MilSubs could once be bought for £50 from army surplus stores.

Many had their sword hands replaced to make them more desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    And to think that MilSubs could once be bought for £50 from army surplus stores.

Many had their sword hands replaced to make them more desirable.
    gets ,me wondering of how many people would have turn it down because it was £50 quid at the time who want such a cheap used thing with those orrid hands and flaky lume and those mil marks what junk perversely I would have been more drawn to it when every one else hated it
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

It's always hard to put a price on a value.