Editor's note: The other day, Nick popped into the office with his latest pick-up, a fairly awesome Seiko with a custom 'Gator Bowl' dial, which got me to thinking about custom dials, particularly those with corporate logos. They seemed to have had quite a moment in the past, but that time has definitely passed. And while a lot of people aren't too keen on these dials, I'm quite a sucker for them. Here's a story from a while back, where I go into bat for custom dials …* There's a piece of pop culture folklore that says that when you retire, your employers give you a party and a gold watch. Now, if you were born after 1980, this concept seems like a quaint anachronism from some halcyon economic boom time, where job security was real and employers rewarded long service.*But, trust us, we've watched Mad Men,*back in the day this was actually a thing. And often the watches were personalised with the company logo. In the business, these watches are known as 'presentation dials', because, you know, they were presented to someone.*And this is where things get weird/awesome. Supermarkets and fast food chains are about as far away from…

The post 5 presentation dials that ruined perfectly good watches. Or did they? appeared first on Time and Tide Watches.

More...