Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a grail?

Hybrid View

What is a grail?

We have a few posts lately with the word grail in the title. What is a grail watch to you?

For me it is something that due to price or very limited availability (like one of two) that is highly sought after or desired for some personal reason.

I can't honestly say I have a grail watch at the moment.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Yup, as I mentioned in the other posts...mine is the Milsub, which I could never afford or obtain easily if I could... I guess there's the argument that the right amount of money could get you anything...but that brings me back to never.

3. Likes Samanator liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My "definition" of Grail is rather soft around the edges, loose and likely to change. Generally I consider it something you really want but can't get *easily* for some reason. I think it's a concept that works best for people prone to obsessive thinking. For someone with a tight budget, Grail might simply mean that it's too expensive for them to afford. For someone with deep pockets, it might mean a rarity from the past, or maybe some very limited run. I think a person with more financial restriction might have an easier time coming up with "grails" than a person who drives their Lamborghini to their yacht to have lunch with the Sheik. I don't personally have a "grail" because watches are more like Lego to me. I just enjoy playing with them, and I try not to obsess too much about them. There are a handful of more expensive watches I really like, and maybe someday I'll own one, but I don't really obsess too much about the rarity.
    Last edited by skywatch; Aug 1, 2019 at 02:36 PM.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

5. Likes Samanator, JAGtime, yokied, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    My "definition" of Grail is rather soft around the edges, loose and likely to change. Generally I consider it something you really want but can't get *easily* for some reason. I think it's a concept that works best for people prone to obsessive thinking. For someone with a tight budget, Grail might simply mean that it's too expensive for them to afford. For someone with deep pockets, it might mean a rarity from the past, or maybe some very limited run. I think a person with more financial restriction might have an easier time coming up with "grails" than a person who drives their Lamborghini to their yacht to have lunch with the Sheik. I don't personally have a "grail" because watches are more like Lego to me. I just enjoy playing with them, and I try not to obsess too much about them. There are a handful of more expensive watches I really like, and maybe someday I'll own one, but I don't really obsess too much about the rarity.
    I guess it is good that I really only like one category of watches and that they have a maximum price point that is within my reach. There are a few outliners that go well over the normal limit but things like a PP Aquanaut technically, and ascetically and emotionally are not more desirable to me than say a Blancpain or even a VC which are nearly half the price. This would even include the APRO that I have no desire to own. Additionally my new found appreciation for no date watches has made me question owning watches with a date in a location I don't like or can't read. My current desired pieces for the most part just require patience to wait for one to come in. That this can be years in some cases which may be beyond some collectors tolerances. It does not bother me and waiting helps spread the cost over a bit more time. I have never paid more than retail, and refuse to cross that line.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

7. Likes skywatch, Cybotron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    I guess it is good that I really only like one category of watches and that they have a maximum price point that is within my reach. There are a few outliners that go well over the normal limit but things like a PP Aquanaut technically, and ascetically and emotionally are not more desirable to me than say a Blancpain or even a VC which are nearly half the price. This would even include the APRO that I have no desire to own. Additionally my new found appreciation for no date watches has made me question owning watches with a date in a location I don't like or can't read. My current desired pieces for the most part just require patience to wait for one to come in. That this can be years in some cases which may be beyond some collectors tolerances. It does not bother me and waiting helps spread the cost over a bit more time. I have never paid more than retail, and refuse to cross that line.
    This pretty closely sums up my tastes as well. l am also fortunate that my tastes do not include the super-pricey brands, but I do like the date function on watches. Rolex is off my radar for now because of the feeding frenzy,

Last edited by TigerDore; Aug 1, 2019 at 06:30 PM.

All good points and valid definitions, since the term is definitely squishy. Some might say a grail has to be unobtainable; for me personally I agree with the “very difficult but not impossible to obtain” definition. The difficulty could be price, rarity or both.

I’m lucky enough to have been able to secure my grail (the Credor). Don’t really have another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Samanator, skywatch, Cybotron liked this post
    There are here plenty of more knowledgeable and serious collectors, than me. I like watches, but maybe not enough to be able to choose one or more pieces as a 'grail' (something significant, but difficult to obtain due to scarcity and/or price). Guess I haven't one.
    Last edited by CFR; Aug 1, 2019 at 03:42 PM.

12. Likes Samanator, Cybotron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    There are here plenty of more knowledgeable and serious collectors, than me. I like watches, but maybe not enough to be able to choose one or more pieces as a 'grail' (something significant, but difficult to obtain due to scarcity and/or price). Guess I haven't one.
    This I guess.

There’s a few watches I like, that I’d buy if I wasn’t too sensible - I am aware whichever watch I buy, there would always be another .... that I’d admire - and potentially buy - just around the corner.

I like watches - and I cannot lie

I wouldn’t mind a Junghans right now .... maybe the urge will pass, maybe not.

I wouldn't mind a Hentschel - Maybe that’s one of my grails - but as mentioned once bought I know there’d be another.
    Last edited by Seriously; Aug 1, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

14. Likes skywatch liked this post
    I think a sense of quest and difficulty has to come into it. I’m not sure that simple unaffordability is enough to make something a grail, but can understand the term being used that way.

“Had a big tax rebate today, so went down the road and bought my grail” doesn’t sound quite right.

16. Likes Samanator, yokied, uchinanchu liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I think a sense of quest and difficulty has to come into it. I’m not sure that simple unaffordability is enough to make something a grail, but can understand the term being used that way.

“Had a big tax rebate today, so went down the road and bought my grail” doesn’t sound quite right.

To a T for me, well written thoughts . . .