Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Month Impressions: Seamaster 1948 Small Seconds 70th Anniversary

First Month Impressions: Seamaster 1948 Small Seconds 70th Anniversary

In early July, I finally received my Seamaster 1948, Small Seconds master Chronometer, ref. # 511.12.38.20.02.001. In spite of the extremely long wait from Omega, Rob at Toppers did a fantastic job of delivering what looks like one of the earlier of the 1948 models produced. Like many of the watches we have all seen in person, the pictures did not do this model justice at all, not even close. Even with this common experience, the 1948 stands out; this timepiece shows an exceptional amount of beauty in comparison to photos and videos.

Its proportions are well-done and the balance is flawless. Having researched vintage, non-diving, Seamasters from the 1950's, 35mm to 37mm pieces were not uncommon. At 38mm, this edition strikes a balance that is believable as a vintage piece, while also managing not to appear small on the wrist. In choosing white gold for the indices and hands, Omega hasn't cut any corners to make this timeless piece a true heirloom. Coupled with the Master Chronometer 8804 movement, this watch is as rugged as it is handsome. Omega chose to quietly underscore this fact by mounting the 1948 on a magnetic stand. Bold!

I have to admit that, from the time I placed my order for this piece, my plans were to immediately replace the tan leather strap with a dressy black leather, but when I saw the watch in person, I got it. The strap is amazingly beautiful and given the off-white color of the dial, it fits perfectly. And the unusual grain is stunning to me. I think I would still purchase an upscale black leather strap in order to wear this watch more formally, but the factory strap won me over in an instant.

The dial color hasn't been accurately captured in any photo I have seen or taken myself. It often appears stark white and that isn't the true color at all. It is a warm, off-white, not enough to be a cream color, but enough to give a subtle, nostalgic ambience.

Accuracy- right out of the box, it ran at about + 1/5 of a second a day.

In summary, if you are looking for a piece that is timeless and vintage in appearance, this Seamaster is a great choice. It can be both casual, with the stock strap, or suit and tie worthy with an upscale black strap.

I've posted pics in the "And what did you buy today" thread, but I will repost them here just for reference:

Name:  seamaster1948.008.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  seamaster1948.006.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  seamaster1948.007.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  76.9 KB
    Name:  seamaster1948.005.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  54.9 KB

Thanks for the review, TD.

Glad you're enjoying your new Seamaster; beautiful watch.

3. Likes TigerDore liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Thanks for the review, TD.

Glad you're enjoying your new Seamaster; beautiful watch.
    Thanks, C. But here's the non sequitur; as beautiful as it is, I haven't worn it. My reason for purchasing it a year ago has completely changed and I probably won't wear it. It just isn't me. I will probably sell it.

nicely written nice watch one question any solid back options ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    nicely written nice watch one question any solid back options ?
    All 4 models have the display case back:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...r-1948/catalog

you would think they might have done one to match the original solid back thou wouldn't you ? ..mean nice looking but solid back is a must as an option thou surely for some buyers wanting it ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes TigerDore liked this post
    you would think they might have done one to match the original solid back thou wouldn't you ? ..mean nice looking but solid back is a must as an option thou surely for some buyers wanting it ?
    I guess Omega is married to the idea that Co-axial MC movement is meant to be showcased, although they didn't follow that logic with the '57 Trilogy series. I would have bought the watch either way.

true most won't care but some will I'm not sure I'm down with show case backs I have a few but of late sold most of them.. maybe just to much of a tool watch kinda guy and a solid back just makes more sense to me
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes TigerDore liked this post
    true most won't care but some will I'm not sure I'm down with show case backs I have a few but of late sold most of them.. maybe just to much of a tool watch kinda guy and a solid back just makes more sense to me
    When I first started collecting, a display back was a big deal to me. Now it doesn't matter that much.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDore View Post
    When I first started collecting, a display back was a big deal to me. Now it doesn't matter that much.
    not overly fussed suppose modern not fussed which but my vintage side of me screams solid back for the old stuff
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

14. Likes TigerDore liked this post