Likes Likes:  3

Thread: **** A thought on digital vintage watch dates ****

**** A thought on digital vintage watch dates ****

I have had a few vintage digital watches and when setting the date never thought about it with some of the seiko I have or had are fine but I just bought a very risky tat lot of some early citizen lcd watches and so thought I would try and update my knowledge on them before they arrived to be worked on , give myself like a running start .

Think one will be too far gone to fix which is a shame as it was an early solar power one their is also a 41-8056 which has always struck me as pretty cool but when looking in to it history I found an amusing fact that I had not thought about and that was .

I think they did not see the world lasting past dec 1999 as I have notice on some models the readouts won't go past this point it seems I say it seems as the digital I have had I have never had this issue got some seiko ang/digital and they work fine .

So I suppose my question is if this is the case why do some go past this point when others don't and also if this is on some a fix thing does that mean our modern watches will only go to 2099 then ?

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes Matt liked this post
    I think I used to know the answer to this, and that it was related to processor power and/or memory storage. Both may have been marginal on early digital watches.

4. Likes Matt, is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I think I used to know the answer to this, and that it was related to processor power and/or memory storage. Both may have been marginal on early digital watches.
    yeah maybe as thinking on it's logicality it's not as simple as it first appears . well yes it can be if just numbers then it could keep going like a stopwatch like feature .

but in those ones that include a day then harder as looking at a calendar the days will fall differently each year so to have it right then it would be needed to stored in the memory all years from say a to b but you would think they would have been able to store longer then 35 years worth ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

**** A thought on digital vintage watch dates ****

I take it I’m not the only old fogey who remembers all the Y2K panics? Predictions that the world would come to a sudden and abrupt halt were somewhat out. I think all that was down more to people just not thinking about what to do after ‘99 switched to ‘00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk